MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Fleet crisis at SQ

Apparently the delay of the A3UGLY has caused panic at SQ HQ, and the fleet planning situation will be getting really tight from December when they retire/sell some 744s.

Amongst the changes I've noticed:

- SIN-ZRH-MAN flights to terminate at ZRH. Meaning MAN will be left with the 5xweekly direct flights. And we lose a nifty little mileage earner - ZRH-MAN, last day to book on Dec 28th.

- Some flights currently operated by 744s will be/has been downgraded to 772s. One such flight is SIN-HKG SQ866/865, which has been operated by a regional seating-configured 3 class 772 as of this week.

They better not pull the 744 away from MEL when I want to pay for business class on them... unless it's replaced by the new 773ER. :D

Maybe LeeCH can fill us in a bit better. ;)

Edited by Keith T

One hand we hear about MAS has grounded a few aircarfts, on another hand we hear about SIA is facing some aircraft shortage....

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

probably cutting down on flight frequencies to fit the schedule to the fleet...? :unknw:

When is the 1st 777-312ER scheduled to be delivered?

September apparently. MAN is confirmed to get that plane (SIN-MAN is supposed to be daily and direct from March, so we still lose the ZRH-MAN flights anyway), and there are rumours about CDG and MEL. Meaning A380 style seating for us in MEL even if not actually getting the A380. :D

But the 77W will not alleviate fleet shortage as SQ has signed lots of deals to sell off the older 744s.

Edited by Keith T

Crisis indeed. And A3UGLY is really making a mess out of the situation. Not only with the fleet, but also with crew planning and movement as all has been well planned much much earlier (Always SQ way of doing things).

Reason for the replacement of services to HKG with a Triple? The B744 fleet is dwindling down at a very very fast rate. Over the last month, I have seen three such aircraft being converted into Iberia colors at SIA Engineering complexes. Believe it or not, the late delivery of the A3UGLY has actually shrinked the load capacity of SQ group because of the late delivery and the company has promised to sell out X amount of aeroplanes before they knew of the delay.

As such, SQ could not turn back from its Sale agreement and in the same time could not find any replacement aircraft. And bear in mind if the replacement is ever to be acquired, it has to be the same standard configuration as all other SQ aircraft or passengers will fell odd when they step on board. How come differet settings arh? Hence the situation of SQ 866 and ZRH/MAN shuttle has to be pulled out. Hopefully Airbus can compensate back on the lost revenue, especially on the ZRH-MAN vv sector.

As with B744 services to MEL, I think it will be all over come November possibly. It will be replaces entirely by B777-300ER. That is good news to me as I have not been to MEL for the last three years. Now who has been flying these sectors? So where does the SQ B773ER goes to? Initial destinations, MEL, CDG and ZRH. Oh, I am attending a two day course on how to operate the aircraft using N1 as primary thrust settings and a course on Electronic Flight Bag as it will be first in the fleet to be fitted.

One hand we hear about MAS has grounded a few aircarfts, on another hand we hear about SIA is facing some aircraft shortage....

Hmm, at least SQ can get hold of two spare 744 from PMB that MAS is not using for a few months :D 34" incline in Y class, but not sure if the F and C class have been refitted though, prolly not. :D

Crisis indeed. And A3UGLY is really making a mess out of the situation. Not only with the fleet, but also with crew planning and movement as all has been well planned much much earlier (Always SQ way of doing things).

Reason for the replacement of services to HKG with a Triple? The B744 fleet is dwindling down at a very very fast rate. Over the last month, I have seen three such aircraft being converted into Iberia colors at SIA Engineering complexes. Believe it or not, the late delivery of the A3UGLY has actually shrinked the load capacity of SQ group because of the late delivery and the company has promised to sell out X amount of aeroplanes before they knew of the delay.

As such, SQ could not turn back from its Sale agreement and in the same time could not find any replacement aircraft. And bear in mind if the replacement is ever to be acquired, it has to be the same standard configuration as all other SQ aircraft or passengers will fell odd when they step on board. How come differet settings arh? Hence the situation of SQ 866 and ZRH/MAN shuttle has to be pulled out. Hopefully Airbus can compensate back on the lost revenue, especially on the ZRH-MAN vv sector.

As with B744 services to MEL, I think it will be all over come November possibly. It will be replaces entirely by B777-300ER. That is good news to me as I have not been to MEL for the last three years. Now who has been flying these sectors? So where does the SQ B773ER goes to? Initial destinations, MEL, CDG and ZRH. Oh, I am attending a two day course on how to operate the aircraft using N1 as primary thrust settings and a course on Electronic Flight Bag as it will be first in the fleet to be fitted.

That's all very interesting. So I can look forward to the new seating by Nov! :D But I won't be flying SQ till Feb. :(

I hear SQ is leasing a whole lot of A340s to cover the shortage left behind by the sales of the 747s? I have a feeling it'd be covered by the compensation deal made with Airbus. Good luck retrofitting all of them to SQ standards.

Edited by Keith T

not sure how stopping ZRH-MAN would help with the fleet shortage - twice a week, the 744 arrives in ZRH at about 6.15am, leaves for MAN and returns in time to leave for SIN at about 1pm. On the non-MAN days, the plane has a big rest while waiting for the 1pm flight back home. So whether it flies on the MAN or not, it still returns to SIN at the same time.

Forget about the A380 and retain the 747's! Why make a fuss out of it when the 747 looks so nice and not to mention it is not a dump a/c either... Well, it's just the pax capacity that makes the difference from the A380... Solution? Send TWO 747 in place of one A380. Result, you get to fit in three quarter, roughly, more pax than one A380 would. Fuel and man power consumption? Marginal also... No? :D :D

OK... Enough for the kopitiam ah pek argument... :lol:

LeeCH, isn't the N1 the primary engine thrust setting? I've always thought it is but now it sounds like I'm wrong... Please enlighten the ignorant on this! :pardon:

Dear Keith

The advice from Head Office is aircraft deployment is subject to change, but

first quarter 2007 may see the B773-ER likely deployed on the SQ237/238

service.

Regards,

My contact at SQ MEL

LeeCH: If the 237/238 service is going to be replaced by the new jet, is the 747 still going to be pulled? Cause 228/227 is a very popular connector for LHR and European destinations pax, competing directly with TG (346 with flat beds now, 772ER with flat beds but no F from December) and QF flights (747 with skybeds), and needless to say a 773 or 772 with regional seats would be disastrous. No competition for 237/238 except that its popular for connections to SEA destinations. 217/218 is also popular for LHR bound and competes with QF30/29 (also a 747 with skybeds but via HKG) and surely flat beds are the way to go for a midnight departure from MEL. So, do you know what's going on?

Sign in to follow this