MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Pilot dies of heart attack

What are the chances of not detecting a pilot's failing heart? I thought the medical check-ups were stringent.

.ny

Pilot dies of heart attack

By Michael Owen

July 31, 2006 12:00

Article from: The Advertiser

THE pilot of a plane carrying up to 300 passengers from Bali to Adelaide died during take-off, it has been revealed.

Garuda Indonesia Flight 722 last Tuesday was delayed for almost an hour after it returned to Denpasar Airport following the death.

Adelaide Airport sources yesterday told The Advertiser the co-pilot had to abort the take-off procedure when the chief pilot suffered a heart attack and died at the controls. A spokesman for Garuda, the official airline of Indonesia, yesterday confirmed the pilot's death.

It was yesterday unclear if the plane was airborne at the time.

The Airbus A330-300 aircraft was preparing to return hundreds of Australian holidaymakers from Bali to Adelaide, via Melbourne.

Asked if the passengers were made aware of the situation with the plane's pilot, the spokesman said: "I can't comment on that. It happened in Denpasar, so it wasn't in Adelaide, so it just caused a delay out," he said.

The spokesman said the pilot was Indonesian but declined to give further details. "Obviously it was a very traumatic experience for all of our staff," he said.

A Melbourne Airport spokeswoman said the flight was scheduled to arrive at 10.30am but landed at 11.16am (ACST).

The flight was further delayed in its departure for Adelaide, flying out of Melbourne at 1.02pm.

Passengers waiting at Adelaide Airport to fly to Bali that day were delayed by three hours because of the death of the pilot in Denpasar.

An airport spokesman said the matter was "entirely an airline issue". The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said if such an incident had occurred in Australia, the airline would have been required to submit an incident report.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5005941,00.html

I have heard this one before, is it the same one?

Kinda scary...last week was actor/showbiz Mohsin died in front of the Air Asia counter :S

Kinda scary...last week was actor/showbiz Mohsin died in front of the Air Asia counter :S

OMG..any news link about that incident? Where did it happen? :o

Hmmmm...very random!!

Just as I was visiting Qantas's Ops Control Centre yesterday, we were talking about delays and knock on effects, yada yada yada. 3 hours delay eh? That's not too bad - at least it got into Adelaide at the end of the day. Considerably okay.

Pilot RIP.

Poor guy, and it seems Garuda has had at least two these past few years. RIP...

By Micheal Owen, yeah :rofl:

May the pilot rest in peace..............

Yeah... Michael Owen! Footballer cum journalist... :rofl:

Btw, Seth, who's that in your avatar? Like a local Chinese gal, a Friendster photo... :lol:

Btw, Seth, who's that in your avatar? Like a local Chinese gal, a Friendster photo... :lol:

Naah, that's not a Chinese gurlz, just my Malaysian Girl Fren, not yet girlfren, and I'll work hard 4 that :good: Well, she's malay, not Chinese :pardon:

Naah, that's not a Chinese gurlz, just my Malaysian Girl Fren, not yet girlfren, and I'll work hard 4 that :good: Well, she's malay, not Chinese :pardon:

Good luck... :lol: :lol:

Some Chinese look like Malay while some Malays look like Chinese here... I have personally been mistaken as a Malay several times... :p

Good luck... :lol: :lol:

Some Chinese look like Malay while some Malays look like Chinese here... I have personally been mistaken as a Malay several times... :p

As Pieter said, she's sexy :lol:

Man, I have a date wit her next week................. :yahoo:

Alrright let's get back to the topic :)

Edited by Seth K

Sign in to follow this