MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Tiger and SIA/SilkAir lead race to expand in Indonesia-Singapore market with AirAsia

Unless they open up the 3rd runway for civilian use quickly, there're practically no more slots during the peak periods.

It is not just slots - Airasia decided to close its SIN station because it could not secure more overnight aircraft parking bays. They are short of everything at Changi!

Unless they open up the 3rd runway for civilian use quickly, there're practically no more slots during the peak periods.

How about non peak periods? AirAsia's traffic are mostly driven by leisure travellers. And they are mostly encouraged by low fares, not by scheduling convenience. Offer low enough fares and they will travel.

And also, the big patch of land near the third runway has been earmarked for T5 in the Changi airport masterplan with its usage exclusively allocated to SIA and Star Alliance. I don't think they will open the runway without T5 as it will involve long taxies.

From reading this it seems to me that Changi is being very picky over who gets the slots otherwise Air Asia may have got more slots.

And also, the big patch of land near the third runway has been earmarked for T5 in the Changi airport masterplan with its usage exclusively allocated to SIA and Star Alliance. I don't think they will open the runway without T5 as it will involve long taxies.

At big airports long taxis are inevitable.

Sign in to follow this