MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Cire

Flying training disrupted..

BESUT: Nuisance caused by birds and wild boars have disrupted flying training at the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) Airbase in Gong Kedak.

Its commandant, Col Asghar Khan Goriman Khan said the birds often flew into the path of Sukhoi SU30 MKM aircraft while the wild boars crossed the runway.

Among the birds that often disrupted training and caused substantial losses to repair the damage were swiftlets, egrets, hawks and pigeons.

"Wild boars had crossed the runway as the aircraft was taking off, causing panic to the pilot," he said at an operation against rogue animals with members of People's Volunteer Corps (Rela), Wildlife and National Parks Department (Perhilitan) and Kampung Security and Development Committee (JKKK) today.

Police had several times told the local community not to build swiftlet houses within 15 kilometres of training airspace but some went against it.

Asghar Khan said on several occasions, the birds entered the aircraft engine causing damage and RMAF had to spend millions of ringgit on repairs.

He sought the cooperation of the people not to build swiftlet houses near the airbase to ensure the safety of pilots undergoing training.

The operation against rogue animals to rid the airbase of birds and wild boars was participated by 70 people. -- Bernama

Read more: Birds and wild boars disrupt training at Gong Kedak airbase - Latest - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/latest/birds-and-wild-boars-disrupt-training-at-gong-kedak-airbase-1.229777#ixzz2Ml3vqy2d

Btw, it seems that this airbase is probably TUDM's only base that now has camouflaged (hardened?) bunkers for aircraft...see it all on Google earth. They are recent additions as they werent they a few years ago.

If the birds n wild animals are really a nuisnace....why in the first place was the base built there ? .... I'm sure the goverment already knows about the presence and flightpath of these animals back then

Where would you think an appropriate place to built an airforce base? Put Sukhois in Sg Besi airbase and let city folks crying for the noises made just to avoid wild boars? Or Subang Airport and let Subang Jaya resident files petition for the closure of the base due to noise polutions just to avoid any kind of birds?

Even today commercial airlines have to adopt an ICAO standard 'Noise Abatement Procedure' when departing out of KLIA where you and me knew when it was built, there is no population out there except for planters who lived in the palm oil settlement area.

There is no ideal place to set up an air base ..... one have to settle and blend in with the natures.

:hi:

I don't know, but I have always thought that a good project in university research would include (but not limited to)

1. more effective bird strike prevention methods and

2. runway animal-loitering control.

I guess there are such research going on, but somehow he issues are still too common.

They should pass a law that makes crossing the runway either by land or by air illegal......

Wild animal can be effectively controlled by having fences around the base. Metal thieves can be controlled by having armed sentries on patrol.

Birds are a little bit more difficult.

They should pass a law that makes crossing the runway either by land or by air illegal......

Wild animal can be effectively controlled by having fences around the base. Metal thieves can be controlled by having armed sentries on patrol.

Birds are a little bit more difficult.

In KIX, they have these gunshots sound in the background every few seconds to scare off birds.. do you think they could implement this?

If the birds n wild animals are really a nuisnace....why in the first place was the base built there ? .... I'm sure the goverment already knows about the presence and flightpath of these animals back then

The airbase was built before WW2 by the British, in the middle of nowhere (at that time).

Or can it be that when the airport was first constructed and commissioned, there are no such nuisance until only after some time where human encroaches into the wild life's habitat, and forcing the animals to trespassed in search of food etc.?

Maybe there is food source too for the birds in the open field.

Perhaps the birds thought that the fighter jets/planes are a much larger bird that does not harm them,but instead provide protection to them from bird of prey, hence their preference to stay within the airport's vicinity.

Sign in to follow this