MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Nguyen Vu Loc

Swiss A-340 turned back after mid-flight brawl

On Sunday 2 September, a Swiss International Airlines plane carrying 200 passengers from Zurich to Beijing was forced to turn back yesterday after two fliers became embroiled in a violent confrontation.

The two men were 27 and 57 years old, and were both Chinese citizens, according to a report in the Swiss German-language newspaper Blick.

Mehdi Guenin, a spokesman for the airline, confirmed that an altercation had taken place more than six hours into the flight.

“The two passengers were handed over to the police of the canton of Zurich after the Airbus A340 landed on Sunday evening,” the spokesman told the French news agency AFP. They were set to be questioned by police on Monday.

The plane was just east of Moscow when the pilot decided to turn it around, according to the spokesman. Although it was due to make a stopover in the Russian capital, the pilot opted to head back to Zurich to avoid administrative difficulties.

Swiss International Airlines paid for the plane’s 200 passengers to stay at a hotel in the Swiss city before placing them on flights to Beijing with other companies, as its own service to the Chinese capital on Monday was fully booked.

A spokesman for Zurich police said alcohol had played role in the fight.

Source: http://www.telegraph...ight-brawl.html

I've seen this news report on French TV5. The airline's spokeperson explained the reason to turn back to Zurich instead of landing at Moscow, the scheduled stopover: If the flight had to be suspended for police investigation, about 130 pax. would need Russian visa to allow transitioning to hotels till their next flight, this will require a lot of paperwork and make passengers upset if being kept too long in the airport transit area.

Edited by Nguyen Vu Loc

The pilot was probably over generous

Could it have been an option to bypass Moscow and land at PEK instead ? Where Chinese laws will thereby apply ?

Can construe some terrorism charges, conduct trial and sentencing enroute, followed by execution at parking bay at PEK :p

"Just East" of MOW isn't 6 hours from ZRH. Either the "just" is inaccurate or this A340 was flying very very slowly. I make ZRH-SVO or DME at around 1200 NM max.

The pilot was probably over generous

Could it have been an option to bypass Moscow and land at PEK instead ? Where Chinese laws will thereby apply ?

Can construe some terrorism charges, conduct trial and sentencing enroute, followed by execution at parking bay at PEK :p

Would you want to sit next to 2 screaming PRCs for the next 7 hours?

Sometimes some PRCs should just use their brains once in a while for a change, especially in foreign countries. :help:

Would you want to sit next to 2 screaming PRCs for the next 7 hours?

errr...whats with this PRC moniker to describe mainland chinese ? i think only singaporeans use that term in a patronising and almost derogatory way

hope malaysians are not going to ape them

i wouldnt want to sit next to anyone screaming away irregardless of where they come from !

i was on a flight to melbourne once and the guy across my aisle was having a drunken,overbearing and loud banter with his neighbour.

which threatened to go out of control . should i condemn those australians ?

lets not single out ethnic groups , its just not a nice thing to do.

I was once informed that the medical emergency kit on-board is very comprehensive...:D