MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Cire

Syria shot down Turkish F-4

Syria has admitted it shot down a Turkish fighter jet over the Mediterranean, raising tensions between the neighbouring countries.

Ankara warned it would respond "decisively" once it had full details of the incident, which saw the plane downed off the coast of Syria around seven miles from the village of Om al Toyour.

The Syrian military claims the jet was flying low, less than a mile from the shore and well inside the country's territorial waters when they opened fire on it.

16251806.jpg

F4 fighter jets similar to the aircraft that went down

With the second biggest army inNato, Turkey would be a formidable foe for a Syrian army that is already struggling to quash a 16-month-old revolt.

Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's initial comments and subsequent statement on the downing of the F-4 jet were measured in tone.

He said Turkish and Syrian forces were working together to search for the two missing crew of the aircraft.

"Turkey will present its final stance after the incident has been fully brought to light and decisively take the necessary steps," his statement said.

The comments followed a two-hour emergency meeting between prime minister, the chief of general staff, the defence, interior and foreign ministers, the head of national intelligence and the commander of the air force.

Turkish media had reported earlier that Syria had apologised for the incident, but Erdogan made no mention of any apology.-skynews

In this modern and diplomatic era, wasn't there any warnings given to the F4 before it was opened fire on? Didn't read about Syria's declaration of a "no fly zone".

Shoot down then apologise?

Edited by Cire

I read and watch all news but something weird according me! Official informations and news says that "only one F4 took off from Malatya-Erhac AB and lost contact near Syrian border". As far as I know ,only "reconnaisance" planes flies alone in aviation dicipline. Otherwise, we could informed to know there were 2 or 3 planes fleets flyover syrian borders.

There are smelling bad! somethings wrong! In normally, there is no serious problem between Turkey and Syria. Both countries cancelled visa process in last year for free crossing border. We had some problems past years about PKK kurdish terrorists who they hidden in Syrian lands but after Iraq invasion, terrorists were left from Syria to Iraq.

USA and UK forcing to Turkey to do something in Syria but Turkish Government always keeps respect to any other countries home affairs. Thatswhy, Turkish government does not prefer to enter Syrian lands to reason any "peace mission to get democracy" like as US into Iraq.

Negative, according by news; rescue team has been found the wreckage about at 1300mt deep of sea. Also they says found pilot helmets and shoes belonging lost pilots. There is no any clue about pilots alive or not. Our expecting they are alive and arrested by Syrina or northern Syrian rebels forces becouse of no bodies part in shoes or helmets if plane exploded in air by missile or crashed down to surface.

Government sends more military task forces, tanks, munitions and troops to Syrian borders nowadays. No sign interfere to Syrian but Army HQ increased alarm level one step to higher and released "if any hostile action would be response the same action", so it's mean, they are serious.

I really don't know what did they doing in there (our RF4E). Ofcourse, our RF4Es makes regular,usually duty missions north of Northern Turkish Cyprus in Turkish air space. So FIR lines are neighbours and Norther Turkish Cyprus territory too close Syrian air and sea borders (near Aleppo).

There are too many confused informations. Honestly I really don't know, how our plan shooted down! Syrians says that "we shoot them antiaircraft weapon" , another unofficial says "plane shooted down by Russian warships where they located naval base near Aleppo" (remember, a few months ago, Russian warships arrives to Syria), another one says " plane shoot down by S300 missiles by Syrian forces"........ still no "exactly clear" information.

I am told Turkey's citizens undergo compulsory national service and remain army reservists, to be called up when needed. Is this true?

Yes it was true and not in practice anymore . Military service is compulsory to all Turkish (mans) citizens. After finished army duty everyone becomes "reserve" until 55 years old (or 50 years old). There were some special rules, just only one person of a family could be reservist from each home and youngest person takes this duty. If there is no any "man" in house, not to be reservist .

Last year some regulations have been changed includes compulsary reservists. (I've had duty order as reservist, as to be second lieutenant)

Reservists are can be only calls in "war" situation, example in 1974 at the time of "Cyprus Peace OPeration" , reservists called to army for 2 months. They re-trained about their duties.

In today conditions, no need to "mobilization" to war in public(citizen) level. Even be removed "reservists" by government, if army announce "need some peoples for protecting our countries", I'm sure countless peoples joins to army again.

Sign in to follow this