MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Andrew David

Firefly CEO calls it a day after nine years with MAS

PETALING JAYA: Datuk Eddy Leong (pic) has called it a day at Malaysia Airlines (MAS).

Sources said he submitted his resignation letter to the new management of the airline yesterday.

Leong is believed to be negotiating on the date he could leave because there needed to be a transition period for the handover of duties.

Eddy Leong

He was chief executive officer of Firefly and chief operating officer of MAS’ short-haul operations.

Leong had been given the task to help the new team drive Firefly’s turboprop operations and at the same time operationally lead the new short-haul operations of the national carrier.

The reasons for his resignation after nine years with the airline are unclear but it is learnt that he had another offer.

He is the fourth top executive of MAS to resign within five months.

In July, senior general manger of marketing Datuk Bernard Francis announced his resignation after six years with the airline.

On the day the share swap with AirAsia was announced, then managing director Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin resigned.

Early this month, chief financial officer Mohd Azha Abdul Jalil threw in the towel after 4½ years with the airline. His last day is the end of next month. – By B.K. SIDHU

A better offer ?

Is it even true that he is going to Khazanah Holdings? Or is this a speculation?

Could it be that he is frustrated that his plans for Firefly - which in my opinion has a lot of good sense - has been aborted (thanks to the Comprehensive Collaboration Framework (CCF)?

Appreciate if someone in the know could clarify this.

A pity ... I am a big fan of Firefly and every sector I have flown on it has been a great experience - not just a good one.

KC Sim

MAS: Ong to replace Leong

PETALING JAYA: Ignatius Ong Ming Choy is taking over from Datuk Eddy Leong as chief operating officer of Malaysia Airlines' (MAS) short-haul operations.

MAS, in a statement yesterday, confirmed Leong's resignation and said he would remain with the group until Dec 31.

He would be working with group chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya for seamless business continuity by ensuring a smooth handover to Ong, it added.

Ong joined MAS in May 2004 as a manager in the project management department. He later served as manager in the programme management office and assistant general manager in the revenue management department before assuming his current post as regional senior vice-president for Australia, New Zealand and South West Pacific.

StarBiz reported yesterday that Leong, who also runs Firefly, had tendered his resignation and was believed to be negotiating the date he could leave the airline.

Leong will join Destination Resorts and Hotels, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Khazanah Nasional Bhd incorporated as an investment holding company for the hotels and resorts industry.

“On behalf of MAS, I congratulate Leong on his new appointment as chief operating officer of Destination Resorts where I was its chairman before joining MAS. Given his experience in both hotels and airline management, I am certain he will bring great value to Khazanah and will continue to work closely with the MAS' board,” said Ahmad Jauhari.

A chartered accountant by training, Leong joined MAS in June 2003 as a manager in the project management department. He then served in key positions such as MAS Hotels & Boutiques project director, head of project management and assistant general manager for Airport & Inflight Operations (Quality Assurance) and assistant general manager, Turnaround Management Office, before being appointed in 2007 as the first managing director of Firefly.

Leong is the fourth top executive of MAS to resign within five months. In July, senior general manger of marketing Datuk Bernard Francis announced his resignation after six years with the airline.

On the day the share swap with AirAsia was announced, then managing director Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin resigned.

Early this month, chief financial officer Mohd Azha Abdul Jalil resigned after 4 years with the airline. His last day is the end of next month.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/11/24/business/9966503&sec=business

'Small blow to MAS'

CONTINUITY: Firefly managing director Leong's departure will not affect airline's new business plan but is still a loss of talent, say analysts

ANALYSTS see the departure of Firefly managing director Datuk Eddy Leong as a minor scrape to already bleeding Malaysia Airlines (MAS).

"I don't see how it will affect the future business plan for MAS. It (the business plan) will be very much driven by the chief executive officer (CEO) and deputy CEO," one analyst said.

Leong, prior to the announcement of his departure, was part of the senior management team of MAS, designated as the chief operating officer of short-haul business and Firefly turboprop.

Another analyst who also declined to be named acknowledged, however, that it was a shame to see one of the more dynamic characters in MAS leave the company.

"There are a lot of gaps that need to be filled in MAS and internal promotions have not fared well before," he said.

The news comes just a day after analysts declared that a teleconference with the new management of MAS did nothing to allay investors' fears.

Analysts were told that an even bleaker fourth quarter was expected for the airline, with a potential for operational breakeven in 2012.

According to analyst reports, MAS is also banking on recovering Pre-Delivery Payment for aircraft amounting to RM3 billion to tide it over its operational losses.

Its cash reserve currently stands at RM1 billion.

Analysts have been told that a bleaker fourth quarter is expected for the national airline, with a potential for operational breakeven expected only in 2012.

Read more: 'Small blow to MAS' http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/pedf/Article/#ixzz1ea7bi9uW

Sign in to follow this