MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Min Chun

Adam Air Flying Without ATC

Have anyone here heard about this news? Adam Air from Indonesia flying without instruction(atc) for 4 hours..then the pilot only know that..then the pilot saw one 1800 feet runway which shouldnt be enough to let their 737-300 land..anyway, no injuries at all.. :)

Have anyone here heard about this news? Adam Air from Indonesia flying without instruction(atc) for 4 hours..then the pilot only know that..then the pilot saw one 1800 feet runway which shouldnt be enough to let their 737-300 land..anyway, no injuries at all.. :)

i say that is 20% cool and 80% dangerous or maybe 10% cool and 90% dangerous, some thriller would say 80% cool. good thing the runway and traffic is clear.

Azuddin

U'll find quite a few words that we use in BM also but applications different in BIndonesia- for eg gampang = easy and pertualangan = hiking adventure.

From my understanding of the Kompas report alone, the aircraft lost the navigating ability. Could be loss of IRS, or navaid receivers, or loss of generators. Whatever, they were unable to navigate according to IFR.

They declare emergency and landed on a field not normally used by anything bigger than the F-28. 1850m = 6000 ft. Just good enough for a 737.

Nothing said about loss of ATC communication though.

.then the pilot saw one 1800 feet runway which shouldnt be enough to let their 737-300 land..anyway, no injuries at all.. :)

Pilot spots runway in the middle of nowhere, this is one of the reasons why pilots need good eyes B)

From my understanding of the Kompas report alone, the aircraft lost the navigating ability. Could be loss of IRS, or navaid receivers, or loss of generators. Whatever, they were unable to navigate according to IFR.

They declare emergency and landed on a field not normally used by anything bigger than the F-28. 1850m = 6000 ft. Just good enough for a 737.

Nothing said about loss of ATC communication though.

landed on a field? :blink:

I thought is runway..confuse.. :p

The Kompas report stated that the a/c was far south of the Jakarta-Mengkasar track. As they had no navaids and I assume they also had no contact with ATC (otherwise ATC could radar-vector them), it was pure VFR. Either the cloud cover was extensive - which was why they were changing altitude all the time to spot landmarks (according to pax reports) or they didn't carry any map!

Sign in to follow this