MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

Congratulations for winning ATW awards !

My warmest congratulations to the following airlines, as they won Air Transport World (ATW) awards:

Cathay Pacific (CX) for "best airline", and being one of the safest- and most profitable in the world...

Vlaamse Luchtvaart Maatschappij (VG) for "best regional airline", although independent and not linked to a major (was profitable for the last 7 years)...

Jetblue (B6) for "best passenger's service" award...

and the following manufacturer:

Embraer for "technology achievement award"...

again, an Asian carrier in the top-list ;)

Shouldn't BEST PASSENGER SERVICE suppose to be occupy by Asian carier?

will US carrier ever be on top

Azuddin

CX seens to keep winning awards but heres what happened...my friend travelled on CX from KUL-HKG-CANADA...i am not sure which port in canada...but one of it..and i was like..hey u flew CX must have been great..they are the best airline in the world for 2005..and all i got was..."i dont care if they won the award..but up there where it matters most they really sucked...i would have preferred to fly MH if only it was a lil cheaper and they flew into canada".....hmm i was wondering.....how could this happen..he said..that the food was bad..the service was bad..the seats and the PTV was horrible....of coz this was EY though....

Flying with an airline that has just won the Air Transport World "Airline of the Year Award" is no guarantee of good service. Awards are handed out for a variety of reasons and results could be skewed by many factors including sample size and demographics, commercial interests etc.

In 1984, Scandinavian Airline System (SAS) was named "Airline of the Year" by ATW . . . and in October, I flew on its B747-200 flight from SIN to CPH. A fellow traveller who does not eat beef for religious reason was shocked when the main course turned out to be just that. So politely, he asked the flight steward if "there is a choice of main course".

The flight steward stood a distance from him, turned his body in a direction not directly facing the passenger, tilt his head snootily upwards and using a tone/volume that ensures other passengers hears the condescending ring in his voice declared "Yes, you do have a choice - to eat or not to eat." And with that - without waiting for a response - he turned and walked away with his behind proudly jutting out, obviously thrilled with his spontaneous smart aleck response.

Till today, this fellow traveller has never flown SAS even as he used other European carriers a fair bit including travelling to CPH on Finnair. In the 1980s, passengers travelling on Asian carriers such as SIA were spoilt to the end with a choice of three different main courses in Economy Class! Today, this has been reduced to two, but there is still a choice for those who for whatever reasons failed to request a special meal.

I have seen Asian airline crew members whipped up a "special meal" for such instances by robbing certain components from business and economy class meals and offering to take down details of the passenger's return flight to ensure no such recurrence on that flight. That is customer service.

Incidentally, even as the above happened to another person, I ended up putting off any further flights on SAS till almost two decades later . . . and I was still not impressed except with the interior of the airline's A340 aircraft.

KC Sim

Edited by kc sim

I always took MH for KUL-LAX and LAX-KUL route. Last May, I've decided to try travel with CX. I say the service on CX is great. Now my whole family travel on CX whenever they going home to Houston. A few months later, the whole worker in ExxonMobil travel with CX after they heard about it from my dad. Now, ExxonMobil Houston put CX as first choice for traveling to Asia, it's aminly for worker who travel wth family. MH now only available on request and for one person travel, i heard it because of the fare.

Azuddin

Sign in to follow this