MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
reyneo

Vietnam Domestic Flight Prices

I noticed we have some members who are from Vietnam, so I'd thought I'd ask for help here... I'm planning to visit Vietnam in late March and was wondering what is the cheapest fare on average for SGN-HAN or SGN-HPH?

I looked at Jetstar Pacific and got VND918,500 for Hai Phong and VND973,500 for Hanoi... These seem to be standard priced fares (I looked at dates a few months later, and its still the same price). Does Jetstar Pacific have Friday Fare Frenzy (like 3K and JQ)? Or any other form of regular sales?

I also looked at Vietnam's other two airlines, Vietnam Airlines & Air Mekong... Vietnam Airlines charges only about VND50,000+ more than Jetstar & comes with meals n baggage, while Air Mekong charges ridiculously high fares of almost VND1,500,000!

I was hoping for fares of VND600,000 or below (without checked luggage, meals, etc since I don't need them), any chance Jetstar or Air Mekong would have lower fares or promotions closer to my travel date? (Or are there any other Vietnamese airlines I dont know about?)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! =]

Not sure if I can help. I am planning a SGN to Phu Quoc trip too - found the fare via Vietnam Airlines is a whopping 1.3m Dong before taxes! This costs more than my return flight from KUL via AK and it is also more than half my one nite's hotel charges. Needless to say, I cancelled that plan! Looks like flying is still a luxury in Vietnam.

Edited by flee

I had problems booking ticket for domestic tickets on VN, I had to go through a Vietnamese travel agent and paid via Western Union...a one way HAN-SGN cost me 100USD...thats like rm330 before Western Union charges. Tickets for KUL-SGN can be paid using Malaysian issued cards, but not the HAN-SGN sector...Didn't dare tried other airlines...all the best to you.

I noticed we have some members who are from Vietnam, so I'd thought I'd ask for help here... I'm planning to visit Vietnam in late March and was wondering what is the cheapest fare on average for SGN-HAN or SGN-HPH?

I looked at Jetstar Pacific and got VND918,500 for Hai Phong and VND973,500 for Hanoi... These seem to be standard priced fares (I looked at dates a few months later, and its still the same price). Does Jetstar Pacific have Friday Fare Frenzy (like 3K and JQ)? Or any other form of regular sales?

I also looked at Vietnam's other two airlines, Vietnam Airlines & Air Mekong... Vietnam Airlines charges only about VND50,000+ more than Jetstar & comes with meals n baggage, while Air Mekong charges ridiculously high fares of almost VND1,500,000!

I was hoping for fares of VND600,000 or below (without checked luggage, meals, etc since I don't need them), any chance Jetstar or Air Mekong would have lower fares or promotions closer to my travel date? (Or are there any other Vietnamese airlines I dont know about?)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! =]

Hi Reyneo,

The fare around VND900k+ is considered promotion fare. It is not possible to be VND600k or below. The airport tax, fuel surcharge, VAT sums up already nearly VND400k. Usually, I paid around VND1.3mil + one way for VN flight. I seldom take Jetstar due to not reliable on timing unless first flight of the day. Sometimes, it even delay more than 3 hours. Worse case is flight cancel without compensation.

I had problems booking ticket for domestic tickets on VN, I had to go through a Vietnamese travel agent and paid via Western Union...a one way HAN-SGN cost me 100USD...thats like rm330 before Western Union charges. Tickets for KUL-SGN can be paid using Malaysian issued cards, but not the HAN-SGN sector...Didn't dare tried other airlines...all the best to you.

Hi Kenneth,

You paid USD100 for one way is the highest fare for HAN-SGN. Actually, you can purchase the ticket on the spot at the airport. For HAN-SGN v.v, it has many daily flights almost 1 hour 1 flight. HAN is Capital city and SGN is business hub. Therefore, this is the busiest route among domestic destination.

Edited by Robin

Thanks for the replies! Especially to Robin for the local insights.

I'm aware that VND900k+ is probably a promo fare on Vietnam Airlines, but that same price for Jetstar is most definitely 'Standard Fare'. (For SGN-HAN, Taxes + Surcharge for JetStar is only about VND130k.) I just find it a little odd that my domestic BL SGN-HAN/HPH flight would cost more than my 3K SIN-SGN flight for which I only paid VND800k! (In fact SIN-SGN would've cost just VND650k if I had been able to confirm my trip a few days earlier!)

Well, reliable or not, I'm looking for the cheapest fare, flight delays or cancellations are part and parcel of flying, as long as I can get to my destination safely and within a reasonable amount of time, I'm generally okay with it. My experiences with Jetstar Asia & Australia have been very pleasant, and even when one of my flights got cancelled, they offered to put me on a full service carrier departing a few hours later free of charge with free Meals, Alcohol & baggage, even though I only paid A$40 for the promo tickets! I'm hoping Jetstar Pacific wouldn't be too different from its Parent/siblings?

IMO, Jetstar could be taking advantage of the fact that its the only LCC in Vietnam and hence pricing itself only slightly cheaper than Vietnam Airlines. (Then again, it could very well be Vietnam Airlines lowering its fares to match Jetstar instead...) Maybe if Vietjet AirAsia was in the picture, ticket prices might be kept in check?

Anyway, while I'm at it, I was wondering if Robin or anybody else can offer some info on Halong Bay tours... I know that there are countless tour operators that run 3D2N or 2D1N tours from Hanoi. But since I may be flying to Hai Phong (which is closer to Halong City anyway), do you guys know if there are any tour operators that have Halong Bay Tours from Hai Phong or from Halong City itself? Would those be cheaper? I was thinking of maybe doing Hai Phong -> Halong Bay Tour -> Halong City -> Hanoi, so it'd be great if tours could depart from Halong City or Hai Phong instead.

Also, price-wise, for a package like the one here, is US$130 a good price? Or is that just inflated internet tourist prices? Does anyone know of any tour operators that they'd recommend?

Thanks again! =D

Sign in to follow this