MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KC Sim

RSAF's F-15SG makes its public debut

Five of the Boeing F-15SG fighters have been delivered to the Republic of Singapore Air Force and today, one of them made its public debut when Paya Lebar Airbase was opened to the public for the National Runway Cycling and Skating 2010. I joined several hundred cyclists at the gate at 0700hrs and after a delay of about 10 minutes, we were able to make our way into the airbase.

While just about everyone followed the guidance of very friendly air force personnel to register for the event, collect T-shirts and number tags, collect their pre-booked bicycles etc, I declined every offer of help and made my way to the F-15SG - the only aircraft on display. What a let-down. Thankfully, this is my first glimpse of the F-15SG and so it was still rather exciting for me.

The aircraft was parked with the sun shining directly into its exhausts ... not exactly great for photography. To add to my woes, the barricade was placed very close to the aircraft - another hindrance to photography. And it did not help that one of the air force personnel has the habit of placing his hands on the aircraft's nose whenever he stands close to it. Anyhow, the mad dash was worth it as I managed some shots of the F-15SG with the rising sun.

mw-8306-2010-06-20-01Cr-RSAF-F15SG-.jpg

mw-8306-2010-06-20-10Cr-RSAF-F15SG.jpg

mw-8306-2010-06-20-13Cr-RSAF-F15SG.jpg

mw-8306-2010-06-20-09Cr-RSAF-F15SG.jpg

mw-8306-2010-06-20-05Cr-RSAF-F15SG.jpg

As the crowd thickened and it became increasingly difficult to get a clear shot, it was also time for me to leave and that I did at 0815hrs. A staff at the entrance was surprised that I was leaving before the cycling event even got underway and seemed genuinely disappointed. I lied that I was only going out to meet a friend who does not know the way in. And while photographing the Hawker Hunter and Skyhawk at the RSAF Museum, I met Hoe Jyh who had just arrived.

Had there been more aircraft on display, it would have been an exciting day out for aviation enthusiasts. Otherwise, it is great for cycling fans and bicycle enthusiasts - there were lots of beautiful (and expensive) bicycles on display and sale - along with the cycling accessories.

KC Sim

hahaha.... a cyclist with big dslr surely will leave

early without joining the cycling event... :lol:

Good catch of the eagle, KC...

with the condensation still on the nose... :good:

You should've given your camera to the kid

under the wing for more close-up shots... :D

Love your last shot, K C: what a magnificent aircraft !!!

Oh I get it hahaha.. blurry me :p

ive never had the opportunity to see an F-15 live..next singapore airshow is definitely a must for me!

iwan : You are probably right and the F-15SG will probably be showcased at the next Singapore Airshow in 2012 ... but should there be any event where it will appear earlier, we will post information of such events here in Mwings.

Since the occasion recently was a runway cycling and skating event, it would not be right to not have some pictures of the cyclists that took time off to ogle at the F-15SG.

Bicycles these days comes in all shapes and sizes and cyclist have the option of being seated or taking the sport lying down.

mw-RunwayCycling2010-06-20-04Cr.jpg

mw-RunwayCycling2010-06-20-01Cr.jpg

And many of the cyclists too could not resist being photographed with the newest addition to the RSAF's fleet.

mw-RunwayCycling2010-06-20-05Cr.jpg

The event co-incided with Father's Day and it naturally was a great day for father-son bonding.

mw-RunwayCycling2010-06-20-06Cr.jpg

mw-RunwayCycling2010-06-20-08Cr.jpg

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

The F-15s were flying nearly everyday when I was nightstopping there somewhere in early June.I even saw a couple of them on finals from the esplanade!!

Cool plane!!

Sign in to follow this