MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
charbulb

How i'm going to be a pilot???

I really need advise about how i'm going to be a pilot. Actually I dont have any flying cert but i really passionate to be pilot. I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and now working with Oil & Gas company. so anybody helps me to find out my career...

Hi charbulb... you plan to selfsponsor or get scholarship from airlines? If selfsponsor then...

First thing you need to do is get an approval letter to study pilot course from DCA. Next, go for pilot medical check up.

After that visit all the flying academies in Malaysia see which one is suitable for you or maybe already have one in ur mind.

When you visit the flying academies then they will tell you what to do next.

for some flying academies you have to pass their entrance test before you can enroll to the academy.

Edited by HanX

Its really important 4 u to know about flying school in malaysia and to choose which 1 suits u....

I really need advise about how i'm going to be a pilot. Actually I dont have any flying cert but i really passionate to be pilot. I have a degree in Chemical Engineering and now working with Oil & Gas company. so anybody helps me to find out my career...

Hi Charbulb - Doing the course in Malaysia is a bit troublesome. Must first obtain DCA approval letter to do the course??? I decided to heck that rule and I'm now doing my flying course in Australia. Do the course outside Malaysia if possible.

Alberttky,i'm a bit amazed by ur point of view? May u explain more bout ur opinion?

A friend of mine finish his cpl/ir in philipines,and currently in local academies to convert his license.. To sum up,he spend around 120-130k MYR for his course there,but he had to convert his license here which takes a cost just shy below 100k (what ive been told). So i think he waste a lot of time,and money too...

Plus,all cadets from local academies graduates with ATPL(F),so u should consider the the job market too.... :pardon:

REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENCE CONVERSION FROM ICAO CONTRACTING STATE (FOREIGN COUNTRY) CPL OR CPL/IR TO MALAYSIAN CPL/IR

OR FROZEN ATPL – MALAYSIAN CITIZEN ONLY

DCA has an existing policy for converting foreign (ICAO contracting states) professional licence (ATPL & CPL) to Malaysian Licence as contained in AIC 4/95. The conversion is only acceptable when the candidate has met the minimum academic qualification which is 5 credits at SPM level or equivalent inclusive of credit in Mathematics, English and a Sciences subjects.

2. This AIC stipulates that an applicant having a total flying experience of less than 500 hours in civil registered aeroplane wishing to convert his/her licence to Malaysian CPL with IR shall attend an abridged flying course. The course has to be done by any Malaysian Approved Flying Training Organization (AFTO).

3. The abridge course shall include the following:-

i)Ground theory lessons and pass the examination paper as follows:-

a)CAA 6 papers ( Flight Planning, Navigation, Instruments, Radio Aids, Met. Theory, Met. Practical )

b)Aviation Law and Procedures Part I and II

c)Loading

d)Performance A

e)Human Performance & Limitations

f)Aircraft Type Technical

ii)Flying Training with a minimum of 35 hours on Multi Engine aeroplane and meeting the CPL/IR breakdown of 100 hours PIC of which up to maximum of 30 hours may be as pilot acting as PIC under supervision (P1 US), 20 hours (PIC) on cross country navigation, 10 hours night flying of which 5 hours must be as PIC, and other requirements as deemed necessary. Total flying experience is not less than 200 hours.

iii)Pass an assessment flight test (GFT/IR) by DCA Examiner.

4. The theory examination papers for paragraph 3 (i) (a) above can be taken either at CPL or ATPL level upon request by the applicant.

5. Successful applicant will be awarded a Malaysian CPL/IR or Frozen ATPL.

with all these requirements, i believe the figure will be around that sum for sure.

with all these requirements, i believe the figure will be around that sum for sure.

I hope DCA changes its ruling on "the minimum academic qualification which is 5 credits at SPM level or equivalent inclusive of credit in Mathematics, English and a Sciences subjects". There are Malaysian pilots who did not fulfill this criteria but are qualified pilots (myself included), and just because of this ruling in place, we cannot go back and fly in our homeland. I have a Bachelors degree, a Masters degree, and now, JAA CPL/IR, but this rule stops me from having my licence converted. Even Singapore and Hong Kong has done away with this rule. It's such a pity because it means I will miss out on flying opportunities in Malaysia.

Sign in to follow this