MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Hisham Albakri

The colours of MH and SQ

Your hints about ministers, oppositions and what not was the 'give-away' ... else I haven't got a clue who the Minister of Finance was in 1979 ... I was in boarding school from 1978 to 1982, hence didn't really follow these sort of news unless one was in the debating team ... you only read the back-paged sports news then  smile.gif

24461[/snapback]

I was never in the debate team. When I was round about that age I listened to this on my trustworthy SW radio most of the time~! laugh.gif

BTW, I knew about this MYR-SGD thing from what Dr M said during the 1990 GE.

I was never in the debate team. When I was round about that age I listened to this on my trustworthy SW radio most of the time~! laugh.gif

BTW, I knew about this MYR-SGD thing from what Dr M said during the 1990 GE.

24464[/snapback]

When I was in Form 2 in 1979, only the 'Mat Square' (a.k.a. Nerds) read about these sort of stuff in the newspapers. Those in the 'mainstream' reads only the exciting news about sports and entertainment news laugh.gif tongue.gif

... I was in boarding school from 1978 to 1982.....

Same here. Don't care much about politics back then. Don't care much about politics now either.

Ku Li was in the opposition once what?!?

Hi Uncles smile.gif, who was this particular fella? And who was the Minister of Finance back then?

Edited by S V Choong

Hi Uncles smile.gif, who was this particular fella?  And who was the Minister of Finance back then?

24475[/snapback]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengku_Razaleigh_Hamzah

Note that the articles says Ku Li was MOF in the 1980s; I'm not sure when he started to hold that position, but in 1979 he was already MOF.

SOURCES:

http://compassweb.arkib.gov.my/c2000Web/bo...879&kodnegeri=W

http://ilmu.ssl.sabah.gov.my/elmu/FullDisp....jsp?0000109198

Edited by H Azmal

At the end of the day, the MYR is at a good rate to attract FDI from Europe and the USA... But it's difficult for us Malaysians to venture overseas...

My parents reminisce about the Ku Li MoF days saying that back then, the government was on top of everything and fiscal management was very good.. what happend in the nineties? I think maybe everyone got over-confident with our economic success... who knows.. sad.gif

My parents reminisce about the Ku Li MoF days saying that back then, the government was on top of everything and fiscal management was very good.. what happend in the nineties? I think maybe everyone got over-confident with our economic success... who knows..  sad.gif

24552[/snapback]

ACtually things were pretty good up until 1997 when the Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysian currencies suffered speculative attacks sending their respective values spiralling. IIRC prior to 1997 USD 1 = MYR 2.50, GBP 1= MYR 4.50, SGD 1= MYR 1.70. We could afford to go to Singapore every year up until then.

The gap between SGD & MYR widened during the tenure of Ku Li. dry.gif

Edited by H Azmal

Sign in to follow this