MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia Records RM165 Mln Core Operating Profit

May 28, 2009 19:01 PM

AirAsia Records RM165 Mln Core Operating Profit

SEPANG, May 28 (Bernama) -- AirAsia Bhd's core operating profit for the first quarter ended March 31, 2009 rose by almost sixfold to RM165.963 million compared with the same quarter in 2008.

Group chief executive officer, Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes, said this was on the back of a revenue of RM714.178 million, up 33 percent from a year ago.

"The higher revenue was driven by robust passenger growth and ancillary income," he told a media briefing here Thursday.

Fernandes said the passenger numbers for the period grew by 21 percent to 3.1 million as the carrier has successfully stimulated the market, captured the share from competitors and launched new routes.

He said the load factor was at a respectable 70 percent.

Fernandes said the yield, or revenue per available seat kilometre (ASK) was up by by 12 percent to 13.7 sen per ASK thanks to five percent higher average fare and strong contribution from ancillary income," he said.

-- BERNAMA

http://bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=414307

This is the media presentation slides, for those who are interested. http://www.airasia.com/storage/bo/aaportal...resentation.pdf

I am actually more eager to look at the final figure for the company for the whole year of 2008, and compare it with MH's, both of which (annual reports) have yet to be released.

Well AK decided to clean up its balance sheet with a one time hit last year. MAS did not and is still paying the price of its fuel hedging in 2009. So the two companies have used different strategies - not easy to compare unless you know the breakdown of the numbers. Perhaps if you just look at the operational numbers just to compare operational statistics.

Note that the AK Q1 2009 numbers also include one off gains not from operations. Obviously, AK has a more active and aggressive treasury management department to make the money from forward bookings work harder.

Note that the AK Q1 2009 numbers also include one off gains not from operations

Any idea what/where that is from ?

Of the one off gain that is, not source of the news :)

From the presentation slides, there is a 'Non Recurring Item Gain' of MYR 48,528,000 during the period. There is no mention about what it is but I think it is a gain from the disposal of their B733 aircrafts.

This is the media presentation slides, for those who are interested. http://www.airasia.com/storage/bo/aaportal...resentation.pdf

Thanks for the link, Azizul. I find the AKX slides very interesting. Have they found a working long-haul LCC model?

AKX1.png

AKX2.png

I've used AKX: KUL-OOL (2x), OOL-KUL (1x), MEL-KUL (1x), KUL-STN (1x), STN-KUL (1x). I found the loads respectable and the flights okay.

Have they found a working long-haul LCC model?

I've used AKX: KUL-OOL (2x), OOL-KUL (1x), MEL-KUL (1x), KUL-STN (1x), STN-KUL (1x). I found the loads respectable and the flights okay.

Doc,

Perhaps you have already answered your own query ?! :)

I find the narrow A333 seats very uncomfortable - their A320's seats are better for my body size and shape. If I fly D7 again, it will be on their A340 or next year's A333s as they have different seats compared to the current fleet. Otherwise I have to pay more for the XL seats.

What would be different about next year's A330's?

The sliding seats will be gone - the new seats will be similar to those used on the AK A320s but with D7's larger 31" pitch.

Sign in to follow this