MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Swiss to cease flying to SIN effective end of April 2009

Surprised to learn LX will stop flying to SIN effective end of April ! :blink:

Flights will turn-around at BKK back to ZRH; passengers can still fly non-stop to SIN on SQ... :pardon:

Another city removed from LX's Summer schedules is SCL, where passengers will fly to GRU and connect there on TAM/JJ to SCL...

I guess, bad news for LX's longhaul passengers... :mellow:

The only surprise here is that it did not happen sooner.

Why would anyone fly Swiss to SIN via BKK when you can fly non-stop with SQ? Furthermore, BKK is a very popular tourist destination, and if you are transiting to another destination, you probably have the same choice of flights offered in SIN.

They used to fly non-stop to SIN but this had to be dowgraded to a 1 stop via BKK flight after the Swissair debacle. By the time they could do such a route again SQ has already gone double daily so competition is too tough!

SQ and Swiss are both *A so it should not make a difference to passengers. But of course, SQ is a bit stingy on the award tickets... there will be no chance to redeem a C class direct ticket to Singapore anymore...

It is really a pity to see the European carriers leaving Singapore one after another over the past years! Much of these carriers had all chosen to terminate their service in Bangkok. These carriers included AZ, AY(MD11!!!!), SK, TK (which now flies SIN-IST direct) and SU. In fact, one can now count the number of European passenger carriers left in SIN with one hand - AF, BA, KL, LH and TK (since Turkey is half Europe).

With the pull-out of LX, the only full service carriers left serving SIN-BKK are SQ, TG and CX. I'm not sure if AI/IC even flies SIN-BKK now and if it is even open for booking if it does. Biman Bangladesh had also replaced their DC10 service via BKK with a direct vampire flight using a leased B738 last November. This used to be a far cry from the days when passengers were simply spoilt for choice on this sector.

LX is currently one of the cheapest way to fly between SIN and BKK, as tour agencies and credit card companies here often bundle them together with accommodation for a very good price even during the peak holiday periods. I heard from my parents who had flown this sector that it was totally full! Thus I believe that LX will really be sorely missed when it stops flying here from end-April.

I think the SIN-BKK sector would probably be replaced by another Star Alliance codeshare with the evening Thai Airways flight TG409/410, just like what SK did when they pulled out of Singapore.

Edited by Hoe Jyh

I think the SIN-BKK sector would probably be replaced by another Star Alliance codeshare with the evening Thai Airways flight TG409/410, just like what SK did when they pulled out of Singapore.

It's the down-side of the Alliance-thingy ! :(

We, at AMS, used to have TG (MD11 !!!) and SA (747), but now both flights are channeled via FRA (with connections on LH), as well as QF (707/747), which now use LHR as their 'hub' (connections on BA)...

I was booked on the ZRH-SIN flight in Dec. There goes my 2nd attempt to fly LX long haul.....:(

But bmi DC has rebooked me on LH via FRA... cool Flounges. :good: Could've done LX to BKK of course, but then I'd have to connect to TG to MEL (who I'm trying to avoid on long hauls after some wildly inconsistent experiences).

LX seems to be culling flights left, right and centre! Some ORD flights have also been affected.

With the pull-out of LX, the only full service carriers left serving SIN-BKK are SQ, TG and CX. I'm not sure if AI/IC even flies SIN-BKK now and if it is even open for booking if it does. Biman Bangladesh had also replaced their DC10 service via BKK with a direct vampire flight using a leased B738 last November. This used to be a far cry from the days when passengers were simply spoilt for choice on this sector.

I hear ya. It used to be so easy tagging on a short trip to SIN on the side in between a longer trip to Thailand. With this decrease in competition, prices on the full service carriers are inevitably going to rise. I usually fly CX on this sector anyway, but I do miss the choice we used to have when there was also AY, and LX if I wanted *A miles.

Edited by Keith T

Why would anyone fly Swiss to SIN via BKK when you can fly non-stop with SQ? Furthermore, BKK is a very popular tourist destination, and if you are transiting to another destination, you probably have the same choice of flights offered in SIN.

They used to fly non-stop to SIN but this had to be dowgraded to a 1 stop via BKK flight after the Swissair debacle. By the time they could do such a route again SQ has already gone double daily so competition is too tough!

Hope MH KUL/SYD/BNE, KUL/MLE/CMB, KUL/KHI/DXB are more lucky.

:drinks: