MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Nizam

Pilot Lands Failed Plane on Highway

A pilot whose engine died looked around for a smooth emergency landing spot and spotted just what he needed - a four-lane highway that wasn't busy.

Frank H. Smith, 87, of Cary was flying his home-built aircraft at 8,500 feet when he lost power Saturday afternoon.

He saw that traffic on a stretch of U.S. 1 was light enough for him to land in the southbound lanes without endangering any vehicles, then put his plane down and coasted over to the side of the highway.

State Trooper Ed Suttles said no charges would be filed and the National Transportation Safety Board would investigate.

Smith, a retired engineer, said it was the first problem he has had in about 30 years of flying. He said the aircraft has given him no trouble since he built it in 1993.

Source: http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/84-...005-573105.html

laugh.gif Lohh.... I Remember when the SAF tranform a Highway into a Runway.. This Guyz realy Teror laaaaa. Edited by Ibrahim

Malaysia also saw this kind of drama few years back

when 2 Germans landed a Cessna 172 on the North-South Highway

some where near Rawang I think.

They almost hit the rear of a truck, but managed to brake on time biggrin.gif .

Cessna was rented from Royal Selangor Flying Club, and had engine problems.

PLUS had to close the highway for the take-off after engine repaired 2 days later. wink.gif

They almost hit the rear of a truck, but managed to brake on time  biggrin.gif .

PLUS had to close the highway for the take-off after engine repaired 2 days later. wink.gif

17069[/snapback]

Yeah... I remember that! Anyone has the footage of the whole scenerio?

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

They almost hit the rear of a truck, but managed to brake on time  biggrin.gif .

17069[/snapback]

wow thats interesting

can't recall that

17069[/snapback]

yup........i do recall that laugh.gif

Try to pull something off like that in Subang . And the whole township will stop moving tongue.gif

18164[/snapback]

Gavin,

If I recalled correctly, many years back...

a Police AirWing Aircraft (Either Pilatus PC6 or Cessna Caravan... can't really recalled) did carry out an emergency landing on the highway

leading to Subang Airport...

Sadly... all onboard perished, plus one or two kids in a car that the aircraft collided with.. sad.gif

Really sad... sad.gif Weather was bad, fuel was low, traffic was heavy, daylight was diminishing for a VFR flight sad.gif

Gavin,

If I recalled correctly, many years back...

a Police AirWing Aircraft (Either Pilatus PC6 or Cessna Caravan... can't really recalled) did carry out an emergency landing on the highway

leading to Subang Airport...

Sadly... all onboard perished, plus one or two kids in a car that the aircraft collided with.. sad.gif

Really sad...  sad.gif  Weather was bad, fuel was low, traffic was heavy, daylight was diminishing for a VFR flight  sad.gif

18232[/snapback]

My aunt was invovled in an accident due to that incident. Sad to say, she suffered irreversible injuries... sad.gif sad.gif

My aunt was invovled in an accident due to that incident. Sad to say, she suffered irreversible injuries... sad.gif  sad.gif

18243[/snapback]

So sorry to hear that ... sad.gif

Sign in to follow this