MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Imran K.

Arabian Whale Grounded

Hello everybody,

Just received a text message from my contact in EK...needless to say (if you carry on reading), I was shocked beyond belief. :o :o

"Habibi, EKA380 A6-EDA grounded due electrical plug in Avionics Compartment burnt. Suspect RCCB (remote control circuit breaker) overcurrent. AI Frantic. AOG since 2 september."

GOSH! AOG ALREADY?! This is very strange!

Hello everybody,

Just received a text message from my contact in EK...needless to say (if you carry on reading), I was shocked beyond belief. :o :o

"Habibi, EKA380 A6-EDA grounded due electrical plug in Avionics Compartment burnt. Suspect RCCB (remote control circuit breaker) overcurrent. AI Frantic. AOG since 2 september."

GOSH! AOG ALREADY?! This is very strange!

Wallahhhh!!!! waiting for BUS engineer from Toulouse?

Probably not terribly unexpected for what is still a relatively new aircraft type that is approaching 11 months in service. It also does not help that Emirates pressed the aircraft into service so quickly after receiving it and sent it on an inaugural flight to JFK and then quickly following up with a publicity tour.

But this kind of problems will soon disappear when EK receives more airplanes and there are more aircraft to "rotate" on the various routes operating the A380.

I remember when the B744 first entered service with SIA, it had tonnes of "teething problems" involving mainly the computer software and caused many delays on its most important routes . . . so much so that the MEGATOP was christened MEGAFLOP by some. The MEGATOP went on to earn top marks with SIA and indeed many profitable carriers in the next decade or more.

So do not write off the A380 . . . in years to come and the A380 brings in the dollars for the airlines (it probably already does for SIA), small teething problems will probably not merit any consideration at all.

Awaiting a part from Toulouse isn't as scary as it sounds . . . it is just a few hours away and if the support that EK receives from Airbus is anything like what SIA did, I am certain the problem received immediate and urgent attention as soon as it was detected and the decision taken to interrupt its schedule.

I am looking forward to Qantas' introduction of the A380 on its regular schedule starting 21 Oct. . . and on the SYD-SIN-LHR route on 16 Jan. More excitingly, I await the A380's entry into service with more Asian carriers such as Thai Airways International, MAS, Korean Air, China Southern Airlines . . . and major ailrines such as Air France and Lufthansa.

Does anyone have any website link where one could find out which A380s are currently at Airbus' plant in Finkenwerder?

KC Sim

Is this the first EK A380 due for delivery?

Its the A380 that's already been delivered bro.

As expected for a brand new type pressed into service...happens all the time for new types!!!When the type mature into service,only then it will show its true potential!!..give it time...

As expected for a brand new type pressed into service...happens all the time for new types!!!When the type mature into service,only then it will show its true potential!!..give it time...

and true problem too! :lol:

Whilst some may opine the incident as teething pains for the dugong on its journey to maturity, I suspect the parties involved could (and should) possibly be more concerned in this instance. Bear in mind that it was electrical wiring that percipitated the massive delay in the programme. Coupled with memory of that bird that went down (over Nova Scotia ?) because of some electrical short circuit in the cockpit. Well, put two and two together and do the maths

Edited by BC Tam

Sign in to follow this