MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Chan CS

Kepulauan Riau

Hello all,

I was browsing Google earth and noticed something, as we all know Malaysia is separated by South China Sea. And there are some tiny islands lie between these 2 places. There is an island called Kepulauan Riau, and I noticed there is an airport there!

So here come my questions, if there is an emergency occur inflight while the plane in overflying South China Sea, take BKI-KUL vv for example, can the plane land there? I remember reading somewhere that the plane has to go back even it's in the middle.

Does anybody knows any airline serves this tiny island? The runway isn't too short, my rough measuring it is 2.5km.

Thanks in advance, and good day!

Here's the picture

middle.jpg

Chan

Edited by Chan CS

Bandar Udara Kijang in Tanjung Pinang, Kepulauan Riau (TNJ/WIDN)?

Since the airport is in Riau, of course Riau Airlines (which made famous by Simon and Louis L in the Malacca Spotting Thread in the Observation Hill Subforum) serves the airport. http://www.riau-airlines.com/route.php

There is also a link in Sriwijaya Air's website mentioning that they are starting to serve Tanjung Pinang to Jakarta beginning 2 April 2008, but Tanjung Pinang is not available in the airline's drop down schedules and fares menu.

If the airport is not Tanjung Pinang [which is highly likely because KIjang in Tanjung Pinang is close to Hang Nadim in Batam, Changi in Singapore and Senai in Johor Bahru] (maybe you are referring to an airport on the isles of Natuna or Matak, which are also part of Provinsi Kepulauan Riau), then only Riau Airlines serves them.

That's Ranai Airport, on Natuna Island... part of Riau Archipelago.

Can easily be seen from the air if you're plying from Peninsular Malaysia to Sarawak.

I think it's a diversion airport for some light aircraft plying the route over South China Sea.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

That's Ranai Airport, on Natuna Island... part of Riau Archipelago.

Can easily be seen from the air if you're plying from Peninsular Malaysia to Sarawak.

I think it's a diversion airport for some light aircraft plying the route over South China Sea.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Correct Uncle Norman.

This is Natuna Island. There are many lizards (biawak besar) comodo on this islands.

Riau Airlines fly to Natuna & Matak from Batam & Tanjung Pinang.

Correct Uncle Norman.

This is Natuna Island. There are many lizards (biawak besar) comodo on this islands.

Comodo in Natuna? or In Pulau Komodo?

Thanks everyone for your info!

Normal, it's Ranai Airport, sorry forgot to mention the name!

It's really an interesting island as seen from google earth! Anyone want to go there together? Haha!

Correct Uncle Norman.

The airfield on Pulau Natuna Besar belongs to TNI-AU (Indon Air Force),and not open to public without prior notice.RMAF used to land SAR aircraft during SAREX and during the search for the late Lt Wahi Annuar (A4PTM MIA)

Komodo dragons only lives on Pulau Komodo and the surrounding islands near Nusa Tenggara (East of Bali - West of Timor)

On flights to East Malaysia,especially if weather is permitting you can see Matak Island airfield on Pulau Annambas near Airways M758 near waypoint LUSMO and after that is Pulau Natuna Besar with Ranai AFB.

Off-topic: I remember vividly the story re. the crash/ disappearance of Wahi Annuar's Skyhawk back in the 80s (route: KUA-LBU?). Nothing was ever found, wasn't it? How long was it before the pilot was officially declared as deceased?

Off-topic: I remember vividly the story re. the crash/ disappearance of Wahi Annuar's Skyhawk back in the 80s (route: KUA-LBU?). Nothing was ever found, wasn't it? How long was it before the pilot was officially declared as deceased?

OT: He was one of my best friends in college... :sorry: ... I heard the family received his pension & gratuity

after 10 years of him MIA :oT

Sign in to follow this