MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Extra legroom seats on Jetstar (3K)

Last Thursday I had to make an unplanned trip upto KL so I managed to bag a Jetstar (3K) flight for SGD 190 at 3.5 hours notice.

I never usually bother paying extra for the extra leg room seats and take a chance that some may be available once on the flight.

This is where things went wrong - once the doors were closed I asked of I can move and was firmly told that those seats cost extra so I'm not allowed to move there.

The flight was had a pretty light loading and there was nobody in the emergency exist rows or the front row. I enquired about the safety aspect of not having people sat there and was told that there are 2 exists and the front and rear that people are seated near.

I was pretty shocked by this and decided not to make a scene.

Coming home today the loading was around half full and the extra $$ seats were again empty but I didn’t try and move.

Has any body else managed to move seats on 3K?

Are there any rules on having those seats unoccupied?

nope there aren't.

I once moved to an extra legroom seat that was unoccupied without informing the crew (its was a light load) and they just thought that that was my booked seat. Most crew members don't really mind, but if you ask them, they have to say that you can't, in line with the company's policy. (which isn't really enforced in 3K at all) While on JQ flights, a stern announcement is made before take off reminding passengers NOT to change seats without getting the crew's prior approval, 3K does not make such announcements or enforce such rules and most people change seats freely.

So simply, 'Don't ask' and the seat is yours.*

[*For emergency exit row seats, FAA regulations require passengers seating on such rows to be able-bodied and above 18 i think. So this could matter.]

Edited by reyneo

The flight was had a pretty light loading and there was nobody in the emergency exist rows or the front row. Coming home today the loading was around half full and the extra $$ seats were again empty but I didn’t try and move.

Has any body else managed to move seats on 3K?

On our return from SIN to SGN we were seated in 3A/B and another lady was in 3C...I asked the C/A to move to an empty row seat (plenty left, as load was only around 40%), and she said: OK, only after take-off, but not in row 1 or the emergency-exit rows...

So, I moved with Mai to the row BEHIND the exits, and we had a row all for ourselves... :pardon:

so....it's allowed, except for above mentioned rows, and, in our case only after take-off when seat-belt signs were off...

nope there aren't.

I once moved to an extra legroom seat that was unoccupied without informing the crew (its was a light load) and they just thought that that was my booked seat. Most crew members don't really mind, but if you ask them, they have to say that you can't, in line with the company's policy. (which isn't really enforced in 3K at all) While on JQ flights, a stern announcement is made before take off reminding passengers NOT to change seats without getting the crew's prior approval, 3K does not make such announcements or enforce such rules and most people change seats freely.

So simply, 'Don't ask' and the seat is yours.*

[*For emergency exit row seats, FAA regulations require passengers seating on such rows to be able-bodied and above 18 i think. So this could matter.]

It is understandable why you cannot do it on JQ because the crew needs to find out who pre-ordered their meals. And the indication would be where these people are assigned to sit. As for 3K, this might be anecdotal but I have had some rather nasty experiences with the when in-flight service is concerned. For example... It was a late night flight CGK-SIN and they were serving the meals (VF flights are crewed by 3K and they still have free meals). A normal question would be "Sir, would you like something to eat?". But this biatch of an FA stood along the aisle and said "I am serving meals..." with one arched eyebrow reaching for her hairline, no smiles. It was a short flight and I was very tired, so I didn't want to kick up a fuss.

She was probably one bad apple but the Supervisor for that flight was another swaggering, full on attitude male who was more interested in joking with his crew and laughing loudly in full view of the passengers.

Edited by Ryan Soh

I've not had much time over the past few weeks to get online...

About 2 weeks ago I took 3K ex SIN to KL and was seated in row 2. Again the load was pretty light and this time the crew repeated announced that if we wanted to move seats to ones with more leg room we could contract we could for a very reasonable rate. This was reiterated before and after takeoff several times.

The seats were empty and rather with the repeated announcements I didn’t bother to move :angry:

getting a 3K flight to KUL for S$190 is fairly expensive and is almost at the same price as for SQ/MH - as normally if booked 3/4 days ahead would only costs abt S$68.

Yes Jetstar SIN-KUL-SIN loads are light and hardly above 50% load if at all - but its good bec one can always have an empty seat or the whole row to himself - and need not pay extra for the emergency exit row or the 1st row.

Sign in to follow this