MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth Chong WT

AK KCH/BKI-BWN??

I thought I read in the papers that AK will be flying KCH-BWN on June 12...its already June the 12...what's up? Any news?

Will appriciate if someone could provide me with a response...Thank you!

AK mah, they are famous for the re-timed new launching hehe.. I am also as clueless as you are...

I thought I read in the papers that AK will be flying KCH-BWN on June 12...its already June the 12...what's up? Any news?

Will appriciate if someone could provide me with a response...Thank you!

When did you read the news anyway?

Eastern Times

By Wilfred Pilo

KUCHING: The local media had done well to help publicise and make popular the tourist packages that put Sarawak on the world map.

Minister of Urban Development and Tourism, Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh, commended the media in his speech at the Media Appreciation Night 2008 jointly organised by his ministry, the Sarawak Tourism Board and the Sarawak Convention Bureau on Tuesday night.

Wong acknowledged that the local media had done their best to promote Sarawak though the tourism industry was getting more competitive as other countries or states probably had more resources.

“Other states do acknowledge and recognise that Sarawak is not only unique, but also being made popular through the media. As such, the media is very much the basis on which to emulate ideas and help better the tourism products.”

He admitted some drawbacks in the media in terms of connectivity and how best to reach out to the rest of the world on what we had to offer.

He believed that more flights to destinations in the Asia region was the best way the State and country to be connected with the rest of the world.

Starting May 2 this year, AirAsia will begin a direct flight from Kuching to Bali and from June 12, there will be direct flights from Kuching to Bandar Seri Bagawan and Singapore as well.

“This is where we get the connectivity to tap foreign tourists and we must work with the tour operators of these countries”.

“These direct flights will see more expatriate workers living in the Asean countries coming over to visit Sarawak”, he added.

Wong urged Malaysian Airlines (MAS) to have more domestic and international flights so that there would be good connectivity to the rest of the world and ease some of the drawback in the tourism industries.

“Thus, the media can have the means to connect to the rest of the world and ease some of the drawbacks in the tourism industries. Information disseminated to the public about going to places can be fulfilled”, he stressed.

Earlier, the Chief Executive Officer of Sarawak Tourism Board, Gracie Geikie, praised the media for their good work in highlighting Sarawak to the rest of the world.

Also present at the function was the Chief Executive Officer of Sarawak Convention Bureau, Jill Henry, who thanked the media for the support, and the President of the Sarawak Tourism Federation, Wee Hong Seng.

The media was entertained by Comedy Court, a comedian team from Peninsular Malaysia, and to a lucky draw.

The Star

Thursday April 3, 2008

AirAsia flying to more places from Kuching

KUCHING: AirAsia’s four new regional routes from Sarawak will further improve the state’s connectivity.

Urban Development and Tourism Minister Datuk Wong Soon Koh said the new destinations were Jakarta, Bali, Bandar Seri Begawan and Singapore.

The Kuching-Jakarta flight commenced on Tuesday while Kuching-Bali will begin on May 2 and Kuching-Bandar Seri Begawan on June 12. The Kuching-Singapore flight will follow later.

Wong said the increased connectivity would boost Sarawak’s tourist industry by enabling more visitors to fly to the state.

“With the new regional flights, we can tap into the foreign tourist market.

“For example, there are many Australian tourists in Bali and they can extend their holiday by coming here on the new AirAsia flight,” he said during a media appreciation night organised by the Sarawak Tourism Board and Sarawak Convention Bureau here on Tuesday night.

He called on tour operators and other industry players to work together with the airline to ensure the new routes could be sustained.

He also urged the media to help promote Sarawak to other parts of the world.

Sign in to follow this