MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Kong

British Airways youngest Captain!

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100new...-name_page.html

or:

PETER GIBBONS may have just become the youngest ever British Airways captain, but his love of flying doesn't run in the family.

The 25-year-old's mum, Lesley, isn't happy in the air, but says she feels safer when her son is in the cockpit.

Peter, who has seven years' flying experience, has taken command of a 159-seat Airbus.

His parents were aboard his first flight in charge to Malaga.

Mrs Gibbons, 52, from Prenton, said: "We are very proud of him. He's been into flying since he was very young.

"It was just something he wanted to do and achieved by himself. I'm not so good with it, but I do feel safer when I know Peter is flying the plane. He knows what he is doing. I'm still happiest when the plane is on the ground though.

"It was a lovely moment when we were aboard his first flight and they introduced him as captain. I was nervous for him, but he did well. You hardly knew you had landed."

Peter, who was sponsored through Oxford Air training school by the RAF, now flies passengers to holiday destinations from Manchester Airport.

He said: "I do get a few funny looks from people when I'm introduced as captain. Usually people are a few years older. I knew I was the youngest person on my training course but was quite surprised when they told me I was the youngest ever at the airline.'

After his training school, the former Wirral grammar school pupil joined Aer Lingus as a first officer flying Boeing 737 jets from Dublin Airport.

He joined GB Airways - a BA franchise in November 2001 as a first officer on the Boeing fleet, transferring to the Airbus fleet on their retirement. He took his command course in June.

Peter, from Oxton, said: 'Flying is something I have always enjoyed. I knew it was what I wanted to do. It is quite nerve wracking the first time it is you in charge but, once you have done it, it's fine. The training courses are so good these days they prepare you really well.

"It requires an awful lot of training and dedication to become a commercial airline pilot but I'm delighted to be able to demonstrate that you can have a very successful career path at an early age."

Bill Ward, GB Airways flight operations director, said: "We are very fortunate to have over 180 highly-trained pilots flying for us and Peter is living proof that hard work and determination will be rewarded."

Now i am wondering what is the youngest age for Captain in MAS, KLM, SQ, Qantas..... cool.gif

Im nearly 23 and yet to be a cadet pilot..... sleep.gif even yet to enter any aviation school sad.gif

7years of experience....sounds logic what.....its not like he's a captain for an A380 biggrin.gif

Sign in to follow this