MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azman MN

Swiss International Air Lines Doubles its profits

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/front/Swiss_bo...56000&ty=st

Everyone remembers that Swissair went bust in 2001.

After that it was practically taken over by Crossair, renamed Swiss International Airlines, got a new code "LX".

Surviving various refinancing exercises, it tried to compete against LCCs (sounds familiar?) by being an LCC within Europe, but a 5 star airline for long haul. That did not work mainly because travellers flying in C or F longhaul would then transfer to an LCC- standard airline when connecting in Europe and have to pay for drinks and food. To make matters worse, while it sold tickets at LCC prices, its cost base was still very high because it did not have good turnaround times, especially when most mornings the European flights have to wait for passengers who were delayed coming in on their intercontinental flights.

Good thing they figured out that the Swiss brand is all about luxury, efficiency, service, etc. etc. So they began again to emphasize their brand, undo the LCC nonsense and were lucky enough (or unlucky, depends on how you see it), to be bought over by Lufthansa. With the financials becoming stable and membership within Star Alliance, it has a good platform to perform and so it did. Things continue to improve, next month they will reintroduce PJs in F class.

I think there is something here for MAS to learn. Not saying that SQ should buy over MH (like LH bought LX), but the govt. should provide the strong financial backing. Then its time to join an alliance. And most important of all, MAS should play to the strengths of its brand, and not mess around in the LCC market.

And most important of all, MAS should play to the strengths of its brand...

I agree with you Azman, indeed I believe that this should be the core value our government as well as the top brass should focus on to revive our national carrier to its utmost glory.

..... but the govt. should provide the strong financial backing .....

NO, NO , NOOOOOOOOO !

(but they will, we all know that :D )

Edited by BC Tam

I've always liked that carrier, both in the SR and LX incarnations. With what limited experiences I have with the carrier, the Swiss brand does connote luxury and everything nice and delightful, just like Swiss watches and chocolates. :p

Sign in to follow this