MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Malaysia Airlines CIMB Credit Card

As many of you already know, MAS introduced a co-branded credit card (MasterCard) last year with with CIMB Bank. I was looking at the CIMB website just now and found out that there is an annual fee of RM168 for MAS Gold MasterCard and RM388 for MAS Platinum MasterCard. But there is absolutely no joining fee.

The competition among local and foreign banks in the credit card segment is so fierce that many banks are offering "Free-For-Life" credit cards (be it classic, gold, or platinum). Most of the credit cards my relatives are using now also absolutely have no annual fee (of course there's a catch and i bet u guys know better than i do). This MAS CIMB credit card seems tempting but i was wondering if there is any way that we do not have to pay the annual fee ?

By the way, any of you here are currently using this MAS CIMB credit card ? Azizul got one MAS CIMB Gold Credit Card, if i'm not mistaken.

The competition among local and foreign banks in the credit card segment is so fierce that many banks are offering "Free-For-Life" credit cards (be it classic, gold, or platinum). Most of the credit cards my relatives are using now also absolutely have no annual fee (of course there's a catch and i bet u guys know better than i do). This MAS CIMB credit card seems tempting but i was wondering if there is any way that we do not have to pay the annual fee ?

By the way, any of you here are currently using this MAS CIMB credit card ? Azizul got one MAS CIMB Gold Credit Card, if i'm not mistaken.

Yes Isaac, I have the Gold one since March last year. From my observation, this particular credit card is not targetted to those who maybe just started working because first of all, the minimum annual earning requirement is MYR 50,000 (i.e. at least MYR 4,170 per month) for the Gold card and double for the Platinum card.

By having that in mind, perhaps they (the bank) think those who owned the card doesn't mind to pay the MYR 168 (Gold) annual fee, which can be translated as only MYR 0.46 per day because I think what really matter to this credit card holders are the Enrich miles generated from the spending.

However, if one would like to 'skip' paying the annual fee, perhaps a normal trick of calling the bank (when the fee has been billed) can be done?

You: Hello, I would like to cancel my CIMB Enrich credit card.

Bank: Oh, may I know why Sir?

You: I was offered another card by another bank that offers no annual fee whatsoever.

Bank: Ok, I tell you what Sir, you keep the card and I'll waive the annual fee (which has been billed).

You: Really, you could do that?

Bank: Certainly Sir!

You: Ok, thank you. :)

I never done it before but my colleagues do it all the time whenever the annual fee is being charged and they succeed at all attempts. That means you have to give the bank a ring a least once a year everytime the annual fee is being billed. Banks usually will try their very best to keep their credit card membership.

A bit about the CIMB Enrich credit card, for online purchases you can only use it on MH's website ONLY. Other online purchases (as in AK's website) CANNOT be done, unless you signed up for the virtual account during application (of the mentioned credit card up). So far the card is my primary card and my Enrich miles has been pouring in more than ever eventhough I didn't fly MH at all in one particular period. IT IS A MUST HAVE CREDIT CARD FOR AVID ENRICHER!

I am also got MAS CIMB credit card to help me to collect more enrich points. :pardon:

Pls don't worry about membership fee. It will waived everytime. Some banks even inform me the membership fee will be waived for the following year. :rolleyes:

Yes Isaac, I have the Gold one since March last year. From my observation, this particular credit card is not targetted to those who maybe just started working because first of all, the minimum annual earning requirement is MYR 50,000 (i.e. at least MYR 4,170 per month) for the Gold card and double for the Platinum card.

By having that in mind, perhaps they (the bank) think those who owned the card doesn't mind to pay the MYR 168 (Gold) annual fee, which can be translated as only MYR 0.46 per day because I think what really matter to this credit card holders are the Enrich miles generated from the spending.

However, if one would like to 'skip' paying the annual fee, perhaps a normal trick of calling the bank (when the fee has been billed) can be done?

You: Hello, I would like to cancel my CIMB Enrich credit card.

Bank: Oh, may I know why Sir?

You: I was offered another card by another bank that offers no annual fee whatsoever.

Bank: Ok, I tell you what Sir, you keep the card and I'll waive the annual fee (which has been billed).

You: Really, you could do that?

Bank: Certainly Sir!

You: Ok, thank you. :)

I never done it before but my colleagues do it all the time whenever the annual fee is being charged and they succeed at all attempts. That means you have to give the bank a ring a least once a year everytime the annual fee is being billed. Banks usually will try their very best to keep their credit card membership.

Thanks for the reply, Azizul. Anyway, my mom has decided to apply the current on promotion "Free-For-Life" CIMB MasterCard. She then can convert the reward point to Enrich point.

By the way, do you know if there is an expiry date for CIMB reward points ?

A bit about the CIMB Enrich credit card, for online purchases you can only use it on MH's website ONLY. Other online purchases (as in AK's website) CANNOT be done, unless you signed up for the virtual account during application (of the mentioned credit card up). So far the card is my primary card and my Enrich miles has been pouring in more than ever eventhough I didn't fly MH at all in one particular period. IT IS A MUST HAVE CREDIT CARD FOR AVID ENRICHER!

Oh no. This has got to be sucks ! My Public Bank Visa Electron (a debit card) is so much better. Have used it to purchase tickets online with Singapore Airlines and Air Asia. And also a night stay at First World Hotel, Genting Highlands. Never had a problem.

Edited by Isaac

Thanks for the reply, Azizul. Anyway, my mom has decided to apply the current on promotion "Free-For-Life" CIMB MasterCard. She then can convert the reward point to Enrich point.

By the way, do you know if there is an expiry date for CIMB reward points ?

Oh no. This has got to be sucks ! My Public Bank Visa Electron (a debit card) is so much better. Have used it to purchase tickets online with Singapore Airlines and Air Asia. And also a night stay at First World Hotel, Genting Highlands. Never had a problem.

Haiya Bro, of coursela MAS will not allow you to use their co-brand card to buy other airlines ticket otherwise they will not do co-brand card.....There must be benefit for MAS. One more thing, the conversion rate is better....merchants who are partner of the co-brand card will offer up to 5X ENRICH miles irrespective of the value and if you buy from non-partner mercghants you will earn 1 ENRICH miles for every MYR4 spent

Edited by EddieDaniel

By the way, do you know if there is an expiry date for CIMB reward points?

I am not sure about other CIMB credit cards (because my other credit cards are from Citibank and Standard Chartered), but for the CIMB Enrich credit card, the miles are transferred into our Enrich account every months, so automatically the miles have a life span of 36 months becore becomming obsolete (but renewable for an additional 12 months for a fee of course).

For Citibank, their reward points are evergreen (no expiry period) while for Standard Chartered the reward points have a life span of 36 months.

Haiya Bro, of coursela MAS will not allow you to use their co-brand card to buy other airlines ticket otherwise they will not do co-brand card.....There must be benefit for MAS.

Is that the case for Citibank AirAsia co-branded credit card or Krisflyer's 4 co-branded credit cards? Can someone confirm that we can use AirAsia or any one of 4 Krisflyer co-branded credit cards for online ticket purchases on MH's website?

Krisflyer co-branded credit cards:

- The American Express® Singapore Airlines PPS Club Platinum Credit Card

- American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card

- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer JCB Credit Card

- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Mitsui Sumitomo Credit Card

Is that the case for Citibank AirAsia co-branded credit card or Krisflyer's 4 co-branded credit cards? Can someone confirm that we can use AirAsia or any one of 4 Krisflyer co-branded credit cards for online ticket purchases on MH's website?

Krisflyer co-branded credit cards:

- American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card

I'm interested to know too. Did you know that we can apply for the Singapore Airlines American Express KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card here in Malaysia ? If i'm not mistaken, the first year annual fee is waived and you'll have to start paying RM270 thereafter. The Singapore Airlines American Express KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card is issued by MayBank.

I think the main issue with AMEX in Malaysia is that many merchants do not accept AMEX. Most of the time it's either Visa or MasterCard.

I'm interested to know too. Did you know that we can apply for the Singapore Airlines American Express KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card here in Malaysia ? If i'm not mistaken, the first year annual fee is waived and you'll have to start paying RM270 thereafter. The Singapore Airlines American Express KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card is issued by MayBank.

I think the main issue with AMEX in Malaysia is that many merchants do not accept AMEX. Most of the time it's either Visa or MasterCard.

You are wrong, AMEX is widely accepted in Malaysia.

You are wrong, AMEX is widely accepted in Malaysia.

Hmm ... doesn't seem to be the case where i visit frequently. All the signs i can see are always VISA/MASTERCARD. And i think that probably is the reason why there are only two banks in Malaysia that are issueing AMEX (MayBank and Hong Leong Bank).

Sign in to follow this