MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
iwan

Animation shows what happened in F-15 crash

terrible accident of a USAF F-15 which led to a few hundred F-15s being grounded..

animation

related article

Thank you Iwan for the link.

I was made to understand that even the Canadian Air Force had to cover for the USAF in Alaska due to the grounding of their F15C. They had to intercept some TU Bears over the Bering Sea.

Hope the same thing won't happen to our Sukhois.

BTW, can someone help explain the F15C's pilot conversation... it seems that all he is saying is "knock it off" several times

Edited by Fitri Shukri

The F-15C is a very old airframe so its little wonder that things like these are happening.

If you look at the video, the seperation occured at the neck which connects the main body of the airplane with the more slender nose/cockpit section. The slender cockpit section is basically cantilevering off the main body throughout the flight, and when the plane turns or banks, bending stresses will be imposed upon the neck.

When you have this cyclic bending stress occuring repeatedly over a span of 25 years, it will be bound to fail, even with regular maintenance.

This incident is very similar to the Aloha Airlines 737 incident where the 'roof' of the front section fuselage flew off during a routine flight.

Time to speed up deployment of the F-22s I'd say.

Fitri, this problem should not affect our young Sukhois, but if it did, it will almost definitely be design fault by the Russians, in which case, I hope we can claim compensation for.

Does anyone know if fighter jets are covered by manufacturer's warranty for a certain period? You know, like when you buy a new TV, you get one year guarantee...

Edited by Andrew Lim

Thank you Iwan for the link.

I was made to understand that even the Canadian Air Force had to cover for the USAF in Alaska due to the grounding of their F15C. They had to intercept some TU Bears over the Bering Sea.

Hope the same thing won't happen to our Sukhois.

BTW, can someone help explain the F15C's pilot conversation... it seems that all he is saying is "knock it off" several times

yeap..like Ow Eng Tiong said,knock it off means disengage from a dogfight usually replied with a "copy,knock it off" reply..boy the pilot must have been really disoriented after 'breaking' up from the plane like that..

a very good explanation by Andrew Lim on the disintegration of the cockpit..looking at our sukhois,design wise,our sukhois are structurally stronger at that particular neck part compared to the eagles..dont know about the other parts thou..but after 25 years of flight,it is expected for the frame to face such structural failure..speeding up the devolopment of the raptors wont help much as the F-22 were not designed to directly replace the F-15s but rather to supplement it due to the cost factor...

The pilot seemed to have left the cockpit real quick though... I wonder how he managed to find time to transmit that 'knock it off' message before he punched out...

i think the 'knock it off' message was transmitted before the plane broke up..and most of the radio comm was from another wingman..seems more logical that way.. ;)

yeap..like Ow Eng Tiong said,knock it off means disengage from a dogfight usually replied with a "copy,knock it off" reply..boy the pilot must have been really disoriented after 'breaking' up from the plane like that..

a very good explanation by Andrew Lim on the disintegration of the cockpit..looking at our sukhois,design wise,our sukhois are structurally stronger at that particular neck part compared to the eagles..dont know about the other parts thou..but after 25 years of flight,it is expected for the frame to face such structural failure..speeding up the devolopment of the raptors wont help much as the F-22 were not designed to directly replace the F-15s but rather to supplement it due to the cost factor...

Maybe the USAF should do the unimaginable... buy some Sukhoi to replace the F15... its very much cheaper too compared to the F22.

Heck, they bought the MiG29 some years back from an Eastern European state (solely to prevent it from being sold to the Iranian)... so why not Sukhoi.

Maybe the USAF should do the unimaginable... buy some Sukhoi to replace the F15... its very much cheaper too compared to the F22.

Heck, they bought the MiG29 some years back from an Eastern European state (solely to prevent it from being sold to the Iranian)... so why not Sukhoi.

haha..that would be a massive blow to their credibilities..and im sure the russians wont sell the flankers to them no matter what..the americans might rather buy more F-35 to replace the F-15 which is exactly what they are doing now..but even then,the cost of an F-35 has also been increasing way beyond the initial estimated cost..

about them buying the sukhois,i read this from a yefim gordons book stating this..

on 26th November 1995,the first of two Su-27s were reported as delivered to the US inside an An-124 for an unknown purpose,believed to be support of military training exercise.

very interesting but i doubt that the russian sent a full operational flanker to the states..

about the MiGs bought by them,it was 21 planes to be exact..from moldova if im not mistaken..russia couldnt do much about that i guess as the americans were the 3rd party in that deal..wonder what they did with those planes..ive even spotted the MiGs in US thru google earth a few months back..will post it here if i can manage to find it again..

Sign in to follow this