MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Izanee

MAS is better placed than SIA or Thai in ASEAN? You must be joking!

That is definitely a big misconception. I have flown SQ for many years since I was 1 year old and I don't ever recall them having preferential treatments towards the ang moh. I have flown them in business and first class too and I found they are just as friendly to everyone. MAS' cabin crews are quite okay, they just lacked the proper training, efficiency, and grace that SQ has. But in terms of friendliness, they may just as good as SQ.

A misconception happens when a person believes in a concept that is objectively false. In this case, as I've mentioned, the preferential treatment is something I have experienced myself, so classifying it as a misconception is definately a mistake.

If you think I've misjudged the situation between myself and the cabin crew, then a more appropriate word to describe me would be 'perasan'. :pardon:

The way they are doing things, indeed many will forever forget MAS. I for one, am disgusted with their sneaky fuel surcharge increases and RM15 ticket charge issued at the office. I wouldn't have been so disgusted had they informed customers earlier before such surcharge take place. I think it was patently rude. On the RM15 charge.... we are paying them money for the trip already, and they want so more??? To pay for their office upkeep, printer toners, electricity, water, pantry supplies, tea ladies, aircond maintenance etc etc??!

Surcharges for counter services are here to stay. I think banks started it once online banking became mainstream. With more and more people using e-banking, there is less of a need to have bank counters, and they can close down some branches, reduce staff and of course, bank branches are usually in prime locations, with high property costs. All this helps to reduce the banks' costs tremendously, and to encourage customers to use e-banking, e-banking is usually free and if customers still want to use counter services, then they have to pay extra for it.

Same for airlines - you can book tickets on-line and use e-tickets. I think Swiss doesn't even have a ticketing office in Zurich city so they save a lot of money. If you book online, there is no service fee. If you still want to call them or pick up paper tickets at their airport office, you must pay at least Fr.25 (RM75).

However, it is only fair for the customers if the on-line system works properly!

In comparison, our 'White Men' are all well behaved throughout the entire journey. At most, serve them the alcohol and they will sleep happily after that.

Obviously you’ve never heard of drunken passengers in Europe being thrown off flights/arrested because of their aggressive behaviour after being served alcohol. I’m not saying Asians don’t do that as well, but you shouldn’t generalise and say that ‘white men’ are well behaved. The kiasu bug exists in everyone, not just Malaysians or Singaporeans like you’ve erroneously pointed out…

If you disagree, maybe you should try working in a multinational company in Singapore or better still, live in an European country. You will realise that everyone is as kiasu as the other; kiasuism is not restricted to race. I hate to say this but your one sided argument regarding kiasuism might have just proved my point about racial bias.

Demanding upgrading for family members holding economy ticket, Cancelling special meal request and asking for business class food, Seated in business class and asking to serve business class meals to their family seated in eonomy, Throwing tantrum hoping to get cash and shopping vouchers. This are just a few. These people never had a family member who works as a cabin crew. So they will never spare a thought for those who are serving them. And oh no, cabin crew do not treat passengers like faceless people.

Demanding things that are out of the norm is definitely an unacceptable behaviour, but are you suggesting that only ‘locals’ do it? You seriously need to open up your horizons a bit, even though you may be a pilot and have seen more of the world than I have.

In one incident, I was due to board a Virgin Atlantic flight which was been delayed for 2 hours due to low visibility at LHR, but this father of a non-Asian family was screaming and shouting at VA staff asking for partial refund due to the stress of having his big family wait in the airport till the weather improves. His point was that if utility companies can charge customers for paying late, then he believed he is entitled to charge the airline for failing to take him to his destination on time… which I though was a brilliant argument. That show kept me entertained until I could finally get on the plane…

But anyway, I was just making a comment in response to a relevant subject, based on my own experience… no need to drag other Malaysians or Singaporeans into the picture.

It could also be that Caucasians are more of a conversationalist type than an average Asian. Asians appeared to be more reserve. So when you see Caucasians talking to the F/A, it is likely that the misconception begins from there onwards. Manners also play an important part. Many pax, especially mainland Chinese, treats the F/A rudely and ask for unreasonable stuff in a rude manner. Some made me like to throw them some punches if I am allowed. How would the F/A feel if they are being treated badly? I guess we cannot always expect thing coming from one side only.

I guess if we do care to approach and open ourselves to talk to the crews, you may see things in a different light? My 0.02 cents.

Totally agree here. Asians are generally more reserved, and unfortunately this may also appear to some as being rude. Sometimes when I board the plane early, I do a bit of people watching. In most airlines there will be F/As positioned along the aisle, greeting passengers and helping with seat locations, hand luggage, etc. As passengers walk in past the F/As, they will be greeted. A simple "good morning, welcome on board" usually. What I notice is that more than half of Asian passengers do not respond. Some managed to muster a shy smile while looking away. On the contrary, most Westerners do respond back with good morning, thank you, a simple hello, or even a smile to acknowledge the greeting. So in terms of expecting the F/A's to be friendly to Asians, I think this is a bad start to the flight!

Edited by Azman MN