MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azuddin

Going to HKG

I wonder what would you fly on if the likes of MH, EK, BI, QR, EY, SV, GF, KU etc do not serve a destination that you're heading to.

Most Airline has Halal food by early request (request when booking ticket).

I remember requesting them for my flight on CO and CX. CO serves seafood and CX serves specially ordered meal with "Muslim Meal" stated on the tray and without the wine list. Instead of pork sandwich, they serve me with a bowl of shrimp soup noodle.

I also remember they serve Chicken Biryani on board Air India when I flew JFK-LHR, it is stated there "Halal". I'm not sure whether everything on board is halal or my dad made that special request.

Azuddin

Mohd Azizul,

Is there any recommendation of any websites i can use to book flights online? I tend to get ridicolously high prices when i try to search online.

The 2 websites that I prequently referred to is www.expedia.com and also www.travelocity.com.

I wouldn't necessarily state explicitly that standard SQ food is "HARAM". Food uploaded in places like DXB, AUH, JED, KHI are all halal by default. (the same may apply to some or all India stations) Also, std food uploaded elsewhere may include vegetarian or seafood based meals which are certainly not HARAM.

This is a sensitive issue to begin with. I think it all depends on how strict you are with your halal definition. Although you mentioned that food uploaded in places like DXB, AUH, JED or KHI are all halal by default, how can you certain about the halal status of the airline's (SQ in particular) cutleries and food preparation apparatus? I don't think SQ has the 'samak' dish washers like the one we have in KUL in any of their stations.

Standard food which includes vegetarian or seafood based may be prepared using the same frying pan or bowls or any of the cooking utensils that was used to prepare pork based food. So...

Again, as I highlighted, it all depends on how one defines 'halal'. One can go as low as 'everything except for pork' or as high as my definition (which I think is the standard definition of 'halal' food - as stated in al Quran).

I wonder what would you fly on if the likes of MH, EK, BI, QR, EY, SV, GF, KU etc do not serve a destination that you're heading to.

I have been flying with LH and KL on a number of short intra Europe flights. I didn't consume the food they provide me. And I am fine with that.

[/b]I think it all depends on how strict you are with your halal definition. Although you mentioned that food uploaded in places like DXB, AUH, JED or KHI are all halal by default, how can you certain about the halal status of the airline's (SQ in particular) cutleries and food preparation apparatus? I don't think SQ has the 'samak' dish washers like the one we have in KUL in any of their stations.

Standard food which includes vegetarian or seafood based may be prepared using the same frying pan or bowls or any of the cooking utensils that was used to prepare pork based food. So...

You mentioned the "samak" method of cleaning dishes at KUL.

- Do you know that that doesn't exist back when KUL was SZB?

- Do you know that MH also uploads from other stations which are unlikely to have the "samak" facility?

In fact, if you are really concerned about utensils etc, are you extremely sure that all MH caterers elsewhere have separate halal kitchens and distinct separate utensils, pots & pans?

But frankly, if you ask scholars, it is not necessary to "samak", and other schools of thought do not require the so-called samak on items that have been used to serve pork (hence, the absence of the so-called samak facility in other places).

Aren't you concerned about the alcoholic beverages in close proximity to your halal meals served on MH? Possibility of a drop or two splashed into other meals? In fact, you have bottles of alcohol on top of the food trolley on MH - this is done openly, yet accepted, hence, why would one think negatively about the unknown (e.g. mixing of cooking utensils) which may not be true.

By extension, how do you really know that any restuarant having the halal JAKIM logo here in M'sia really serves halal food and the sticker is not fake?

ANYWAY, THIS IS way off-topic....so back to HKG and 777s.

Oh wow. This is a flaming hot controversial topic. Religion should be up to the individual. Everyone's got their own intepretations so lets leave it at that.

For example, my arab seatmate and his wife (who's wearing the burqa-ninja type head covering) on DXB-SIN sometime ago proceeded to chug a can of heineken each, after a fairly lengthful read of EK's interactive Al-Quran channel. Maybe he's conservative. Maybe he's not even muslim. But the point is, who am I to say.

And to make this post ON topic, that was in a 777-300! awesome ride! :good:

Edited by N Azman

Trying to steer the topic back to HKG & 777,

Is it possible to get a competitive Y fare by combing two different tkts of KUL-BKKvv on TG's 777, and a dirt cheap (relatively speaking) BKK-HKG vv on EK's 773 or CX 777? (Does KQ fly BKK-HKG on 777s?)

CX are very flexible with their regional flights and can change aircraft type even a couple of hours before the flight if the loads change to suit a different aircraft better. It is one of their flexibilities which help the airline stay so efficient and profitable.

From KUL-HKG, the 777 is unusual apart from the CX720/721 which is always a 777, or at least it is on the days it goes to PEN. On the days where it night-stops in KUL I think it is almost always 777 but I cannot be 100% sure.

Looks like I'm postponing my trip to mid November. I got something to be done here :( .

Azuddin

Sign in to follow this