MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Hisham Albakri

Assistance by EK at DXB

I've got a query which I hope some of you (in particular Imran) could help out. I've got a friend (fellow Malaysian) who works and live in the UK. She is trying to get her mum to fly from KUL to LHR via DXB on EK. Problem is that the mum is not all that conversant in English hence she is worried about the mum's well being especially she is on transit at DXB.

The question she's got is whether EK can provide some sort of special assistance (like the ones airlines normally provide for unaccompanied minors) to her mum especially when she is on transit at DXB :help:

I've got a query which I hope some of you (in particular Imran) could help out. I've got a friend (fellow Malaysian) who works and live in the UK. She is trying to get her mum to fly from KUL to LHR via DXB on EK. Problem is that the mum is not all that conversant in English hence she is worried about the mum's well being especially she is on transit at DXB.

The question she's got is whether EK can provide some sort of special assistance (like the ones airlines normally provide for unaccompanied minors) to her mum especially when she is on transit at DXB :help:

Well...the most fullproof method in aiding your friends mother is if a malay-speaking ground staff member could assist her in the transit process...since that is rather difficult and virtually impossible to control...the next best alternative is by using the "Marhaba" service.

This 'Marhaba' (translated: Welcome) service provides arrival and transit 'meet and greet' services at Dubai airport. More information and specific contact details can be obtained at their website...

www.marhabaservices.com

Good Luck :)

Edit: If that doesnt work, contact the EK office in Heathrow and request for transit and arrival assistance for your friends mother. That would probably be the best alternative as it guarantee's assitance at LHR, DXB, and even KUL if specified.

Edited by Imran K.

If she have so much worried about her mum, should asked her to pay for the extra and fly her mum back with MAS (direct flight, no transit in foreign country) or with SIA also OK (Since Changi is very user friendly and there are plenty of Malay, Chinese, Indian staffs there).

If she have so much worried about her mum, should asked her to pay for the extra and fly her mum back with MAS (direct flight, no transit in foreign country) or with SIA also OK (Since Changi is very user friendly and there are plenty of Malay, Chinese, Indian staffs there).

Cost is obviously a factor lah my friend :sorry:

In actual fact, the topic on Air Asia X which I started yesterday was also to enquire on her behalf ... cost is an issue lah :huh:

My 75 year old aunt travelled on EK back to LHR on her own. I paid for "meet and great service" plus access to the Maharba lounge. They did a great job, making sure that she made a connecting flight etc. The best part was the staff at the maharba lounge remembered her from a month earlier and took great care. They even recalled my name and me telling them to take care of her on her return flight. That's why EK is one of my favourite airlines.

My friend has responded to my query on this issue. I am copying her reply below (edited slightly as she replied using Malay-English rojak language) :)

"My mother will fly with Emirates with the Marhaba service (about RM 100 extra for this service) on 15 Sept 07 and she will stay for 6 months. The airfare for Emirates is cheaper, only £500 including taxes. MAS is very expensive, 6 months ticket inclusive of taxes is almost RM 5000 ... "

So it's EK to LHR with the Marhaba service at DXB lah ... :blink:

Strictly speaking, the Marhaba service is not tied to using EK, although EK is the dominant carrier there in DXB. One could use Marhaba services by, say, using SQ to DXB, to connect to VS service to LHR.

My friend has responded to my query on this issue. I am copying her reply below (edited slightly as she replied using Malay-English rojak language) :)

"My mother will fly with Emirates with the Marhaba service (about RM 100 extra for this service) on 15 Sept 07 and she will stay for 6 months. The airfare for Emirates is cheaper, only £500 including taxes. MAS is very expensive, 6 months ticket inclusive of taxes is almost RM 5000 ... "

So it's EK to LHR with the Marhaba service at DXB lah ... :blink:

Another content customer... :yahoo: I've compared almost all of MH's destinations against that of EK's in terms of price and connectivity...and surprisingly EK comes up cheaper almost 90% of the time! :blink: :blink: Am I missing something here? :mellow:

Btw...brother Hisham, dont worry...the Marhaba service is VERY efficient and their staff are very professional and courteous...her mother will be handled very well.

Strictly speaking, the Marhaba service is not tied to using EK, although EK is the dominant carrier there in DXB. One could use Marhaba services by, say, using SQ to DXB, to connect to VS service to LHR.

You're right Mushrif...Marhaba is a service offered by Dubai Airport...and is not necessarily restricted to passengers travelling on EK flights only. Any passenger on any flight can avail this marhaba service.

I've compared almost all of MH's destinations against that of EK's in terms of price and connectivity...and surprisingly EK comes up cheaper almost 90% of the time! :blink: :blink: Am I missing something here? :mellow:

EK is also amongst the cheapest out of MEL.

If you follow the current price, MAS is cheaper than others from NA to SEA ;)

Ever checked out the distances between NA-SEA as opposed to NA-ME-SEA ? :rolleyes:

Ever checked out the distances between NA-SEA as opposed to NA-ME-SEA ? :rolleyes:

LAX-SEA on MH no doubt the cheapest there......

Even NYC-ARN-KUL on MH is cheaper now than EK which come last in cheapest option after several major Asian/European airlines.

Edited by Seth K

LAX-SEA on MH no doubt the cheapest there......

Even NYC-ARN-KUL on MH is cheaper now than EK which come last in cheapest option after several major Asian/European airlines.

It all comes down to personal preference. Some may prefer to fly directly into JFK instead of EWR...and some may also prefer to choose which flight they'd like to be on as EK flies 3x daily into JFK..as opposed to MH's 3x weekly (not sure about this...but it def. isnt daily).

The cheapest MH fare is classified under "ECONOMY (S)"...read the rules carefully...and you'll know that you're penalized for a no show...penalized for new ticket...penalized for this and that...what if you have a fever? :blink:

Sign in to follow this