MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Changi runway

Today my SQ flight took off from R20L at Changi and made a tight left turn to make a circuit over SIN. Then I noticed there was a third runway on the left side of 20L (pls click thumb below for full pic). What's this 3rd runway for?

IPB Image

.ny

Hey Naim,

erm, RWY 20L is no longer designated for civil ops. You would have departed from what is now called 20C, and the 20L (or thrid runway) has been there for quite some time now and is used for RSAF and other military aviation.

Hope this helps.

Hey Naim,

erm, RWY 20L is no longer designated for civil ops. You would have departed from what is now called 20C, and the 20L (or thrid runway) has been there for quite some time now and is used for RSAF and other military aviation.

Hope this helps.

Ach so, danke schoen! Now my li'l brain is at peace! :D

.ny

yerp..the third runway is known as Changi East Runway and is built on reclaimed land..it was operational since mid-2004.

it is currently being used for RSAF military use and i believe it will be return to CAAS when the need arises..thats what my friend told me .. :D

When the third runway was ready, it was briefly designated runway 19/01 . . . to differentiate it from the then runways 20R/02L and 20L/02R. Eventually, all three were brought together and they are now:

- runway 20R/02L (original runway of Changi Airbase)

- runway 20C/02C (formerly 20L/02R and Changi's second runway)

- runway 20L/02R (third runway)

Runway 20L/02R is currently not linked by any taxyway to Changi Airport and operates independently for RSAF's fighters based there.

Come February 2008, it will also be the runway used by planes participating in the Singapore Aerospace 2008. At its northern end, it will have a direct taxyway link to the site of the airshow and its static display ramp.

KC Sim

Sign in to follow this