MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Geoff R.

2013 Accidents & Incidents

07-02-2013

9M-SKZ

Piper PA-28-161 Cadet

Malaysian Flying Academy

On a training flight from Malacca International - Batu Berendam airport the plane encountered engine trouble and the trainee pilot crash landed the plane in front of an apartment block at Cheng Heights, Malacca. No fatalities.

20-03-2013

M50-17

Pilatus PC-7 Mk.II

TUDM

The trainer was practicing touch and go exercise at Alor Setar AFB but had landed without its undercarriage lowered during its fourth circuit. The aircraft settled on Runway 04 in a cloud of dust but there was no fire. No fatalities.

05-05-2013

9M-DBH

Aerospatiale AS365N2 Dauphin 2

Danga Bay

Rolled over on its side whilst landing at Sungei Besi causing extensive damage. No fatalities,

04-06-2013

M23-__

Sikorsky S-61A-4 Nuri

TUDM

Made an emergency landing at Kota Damansara’s Sri Selangor Golf Course after the pilot detected a technical problem. Operated by No 3 Skn at Sungei Besi AFB. No injuries were reported or damage. Aircraft repaired.

22-07-2013

9M-___

Piper PA-28-161 Warrior

Malaysian Flying Academy

Ditched in the Straits of Malacca, near the Masjid Selat in Bandar Hilir, during a night training flight from Malacca Airport. Two of the three onboard managed to swim to shore and the third was rescued from the sea.

10-10-2013

9M-MDM

DHC-6 Twin Otter

MASwings

Crashed at Kudat Airport (KUD), Malaysia. MASwings flight MH-3002 operated on a domestic flight from Kota Kinabalu Airport (BKI) to Kudat. The copilot and one passenger died, four others were injured. The airplane struck the side of a house located 165 m to the right of the runway 22 centreline. The right wing broke off and the nose section was destroyed as a result of the accident.

27-11-2013

9M-MDK

DHC-6 Twin Otter

MASwings

A MASwings Twin Otter aircraft after landing at Bario departed the taxiway with the starboard wheel stuck in soft ground. No injuries.

12-12-2013

9M-STE

Sikorsky S-76C

MHS Aviation

Ditched 92 nm from Bintilu, Sarawak, on a flight to an offshore installation. Two crew and six passengers rescued by boat.

22-12-2013

M23-15

Sikorsky S-61A-4 Nuri

TUDM

Made an emergency landing probably due to a technical fault while on a security assignment in Pulau Perak, off Kedah. Aircaft came to rest on a rock face and was badly damaged. Crew OK.

Above is a list of accidents and incidents that have been reported in 2013. Only one fatal accident in 2013 involving the Twin Otter at Kudat and a few lucky escapes. Let's hope 2014 is a good year for safety.

Anyone have details of any other accidents or incidents in 2013?

Sadly we won't find out the causes of the civilian accidents as the DCA believes it is in the interest of safety to keep the information secret :fool:

Geoff

Lets hope that Geoff's last line in his above posting was made tongue in cheek.

If it was true then Malaysia should cancel their ICAO membership and go it alone.

As for 9M-MDM, October 10-2013, i have mentioned it in another topic some time ago, and i will repeat here,

that., as per this accident, the aircraft was available for inspection, the captain was seen on a picture walking away from the aircraft and various withnesses were available. It should have taken DCA not very long to come to an at least prelimanary finding, and let us all know.

For the interested, go to google, type in, ntsb media briefings asiana 214, and you will see how the NTSB proceeds.

And they are a heck busier than the DCA.

Cheers

A.

Edited by Arthur Van Straten

It should have taken DCA not very long to come to an at least prelimanary finding, and let us all know.

You kidding ?!

Joe Public still waiting to know from them about 9M-ATZ from way back '76 :)

And this so even after a couple of our ex-chief ministers having had their mud slinging session in a court of law since ! :rolleyes:

Edited by BC Tam

@BCT

I hve found this bernama article, October 12 2013, which speaks for itself, i hope.

The findings of a probe into the MASwings Twin Otter plane crash in Kudat, Sabah, yesterday which claimed two lives, will be made public.

Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said he was awaiting a detailed report on the incident from the Department of Civil Aviation and Malaysia Airlines.

He expressed his condolences to the families of co-pilot Marc Joel Bansh, 23, and passenger Tan Ah Chai, 96, who were killed in the crash.

"Let me assure the victims' families that the findings of the investigation will be made public," he said in a statement today. "I also pray for speedy recovery of those injured in the crash."

The plane carrying 16 passengers, which departed Kota Kinabalu for Kudat at 2.50pm, went down several minutes later. Several passengers of the MH3002 flight were also injured in the mishap.

As for the accident reffered by you, there is a provision in the ICAO guidelines for accident investigation and reporting in which the investigating state, at its discretion, can decide not to publish or ask anybody else not to, publish the final report or parts thereoff. It is my understanding that the powers that be at that time made use of that provision.

So, on 9M-MDM, we wait for the transport minister promise to come thrue.

Cheers

A.

@BCT

I hve found this bernama article, October 12 2013, which speaks for itself, i hope.

The findings of a probe into the MASwings Twin Otter plane crash in Kudat, Sabah, yesterday which claimed two lives, will be made public.

Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said he was awaiting a detailed report on the incident from the Department of Civil Aviation and Malaysia Airlines.

He expressed his condolences to the families of co-pilot Marc Joel Bansh, 23, and passenger Tan Ah Chai, 96, who were killed in the crash.

"Let me assure the victims' families that the findings of the investigation will be made public," he said in a statement today. "I also pray for speedy recovery of those injured in the crash."

The plane carrying 16 passengers, which departed Kota Kinabalu for Kudat at 2.50pm, went down several minutes later. Several passengers of the MH3002 flight were also injured in the mishap.

As for the accident reffered by you, there is a provision in the ICAO guidelines for accident investigation and reporting in which the investigating state, at its discretion, can decide not to publish or ask anybody else not to, publish the final report or parts thereoff. It is my understanding that the powers that be at that time made use of that provision.

So, on 9M-MDM, we wait for the transport minister promise to come thrue.

Cheers

A.

This was a goverment minister speaking two days after the accident telling people what they wanted to hear. I doubt he will deliver on his promise - although I hope I am proven wrong.

Geoff

@ Geoff R.

I can summarize you remarks to a single sentence. Is the DCA accident investigation branch Independent.

I can agree with you, and CBT, that you could see this in a political context, but, Malaysia is part of ICAO and as such should follow the rules on accident reporting as set out by that organization.

So, independent is the operative word.

Now, being independent is not always a guarantee for flawless accident reporting.

Even big brother NTSB has been involved in, at least one, investigation and reporting that did not follow the proper standards. Whatever the reasons may have been.

If independence is just window dressing and reality is far from being transparent than you may have a breeding ground for not releasing factual accident reports or releasing them in such time frame that nobody bothers anymore.

To hold or hide factual information on aircraft accidents does not bode well for the so embraced “just culture” where it is not about punishment but about learning and preventing.

Being independent is unfortunately not always enough, the investigating authority must also have the proper resources and the proper mid/spirit set to do its job independently.

If you are interested, here is the ICAO guideline.

From Annex 13, Chapter 7, 7.4, stipulates:

7.4 The Preliminary Report shall be sent by facsimile, e-mail, or airmail within thirty days of the date of the accident unless the Accident/Incident Data Report has been sent by that time. When matters directly affecting safety are involved, it shall be sent as soon as the information is available and by the most suitable and quickest means available.

Also, from doc 9859:
2.3 Preliminary Report

2.3.1 The Preliminary Report is the communication used for the prompt dissemination of data obtained during the early stages of the investigation. It is an ad interim report that contains additional information that was missing or not available at the time of sending the notification. Preliminary Reports are not compulsory for incidents.

Annex 13, Chapter 6, 6.5 to 6.7, contain the following Standards concerning the Final Report:

Release of the Final Report

6.5 In the interest of accident prevention, the State conducting the investigation of an accident or incident shall make the Final Report publicly available as soon as possible and, if possible, within twelve months.

6.6 If the report cannot be made publicly available within twelve months, the State conducting the investigation shall make an interim statement publicly available on each anniversary of the occurrence, detailing the progress of the investigation and any safety issues raised.

6.7 When the State that has conducted an investigation into an accident or an incident involving an aircraft of a maximum mass of over 5 700 kg has released a Final Report, the State shall send to the International Civil Aviation Organization a copy of the Final Report.

There you have it.

I hope to have contributed to clarify a few issues here and in closing can say that it is the Malaysian Aviation Society and Joe Public's job to keep asking the right questions if they want answers.

With best regards

A.

Sign in to follow this