Airliner Panic: 'We're going to crash'

Airliner panic: 'We're going to crash'

* Email

* Print

* Normal font

* Large font

March 1, 2006 - 12:03PM

AdvertisementAdvertisement

An investigation will be held after passengers complained that a flight attendant screamed "we're going to crash" during a turbulent flight.

The complaints arose after a Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747 jumbo jet, with 451 passengers on board, hit severe turbulence over Greenland during a flight from London to Las Vegas last Friday.

Businesswoman Claire Daley told London's Daily Mail: "She [the flight attendant] screamed every time we dropped and at one point chanted three times 'We're going to crash'".

Another passenger reportedly said: "This hysterical stewardess was telling everyone we were going to die."

But another passenger, Paul Gibson, told BBC Radio Five Live that he first thought a passenger had cried out.

"I could hear there was somebody sort of crying or sort of yelping as the plane shook. My first impression was that it was a passenger so I didn't really think anything of it," he said.

The BBC reported that other passengers said people were crying and being sick after the flight attendant panicked.

Douglas Marshall, a BBC journalist on the flight said he heard screams but could not say where they originated.

But he said the flight crew had been "very scared" when during the turbulence.

"If the flight crew are scared then you know something is seriously wrong," he told the BBC.

"The plane was juddering, up and down. I was trying to take a step but just ended up lying on the floor.

"It was very, very scary. Most people on that plane thought they were going to die."

A Virgin spokeswoman said the investigation would start when the crew from the flight returned to the UK.

She said passenger safety was the airline's top priority.

smh.com.au

Seriously for accepting a job as FA, she must accept anything come as fate. Using words as crash and explode is totally a no-no while working. If you were fate to die, it's unavoidable, if you are not or had survived then lucky you. Buy a life insurance at least you have something to give back to the family as responsibility from a child to parents.

If I were in her shoe, I would understand the risk of the job at the moment I had accepted and signed the contract. I know I would be nervous about the turbulence but I would be calm enough to expect bad things to come.

Actually the FA is like any other passenger , a human. Evan with years of training and experience, she will get scared when something is gonna happen.

From a crew point of view,

No matter how well trained or how hot you are during your simulator and ground training, when it comes to the real thing, it will shock you a while. I kid you not. Which is why the best that we can do is to be prepared always. And always expect the worst.

When I fly, I make it a personal thing that 'Every takeoff roll is a reject takeoff or an engine failure after V1". And every landing and approach is a go-around. We play all this in our mind mentally all the time because when it hits us, like I always said...

"You have only one chance, and you better do it right"

And we have to apply all the correct procedure correctly. Of course in training we already expect instructors will put on something for us. In line operation, you have not a single clue what will happen. ATC and weather are a few more variables although when we declare emergency, we pretty much get to do what we want to, except fly into a terrain.~~ :o

All said, humans are still humans yah. Even the most prepared will be caught off guard like some sportsmen do. And worst more this is a life threatening emergency. When panic sets in, all hell breaks lose. Maybe the best of pilots or cabin crew will need about 10-15 seconds to get over it and realise what has happen and what is needed to be done.

My 0.02 cents opinion.

Agree with Leech..even an aspiring pilots, when he is in an a/c in turbulence area, and if the a/c shaking like hell..I bet he will be a bit scare, but also feel a bit of excitement,wondering what will the pilots do.. :mellow:

Including me :lol: Human still is human only..cant fight with the GOD! :D

Sign in to follow this