MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Lufthansa A380 crashes into boarding bridge at Changi

SINGAPORE - A Lufthansa Airways A380 Airbus crashed into a boarding bridge at Changi Airport last night, fortunately nobody was hurt.

Shin Min Daily reported that the accident occured at around 11pm at the waiting area of the airport's Terminal 2.

According to eye-witnesses, the plane's wing hit the boarding bridge for an unknown reason just as it was moving out of its lot for takeoff.

A spokesperson for the Changi Airport group confirmed that the wing of the Lufthansa plane striked the boarding bridge, the Chinese daily reported.

The reporter tried contacting the Lufthansa office at the airport, but did not receive any response.

Apparently, the Lufthansa A380 Airbus had flown into Singapore Oct 31.

Lufthansa arranged for all passengers on board to stay in a hotel after the accident, and absorbed the travel cost of those passengers who had to switch to other flights, a man only identified as Mr Wong, told the paper.

Mr Wong's two British friends had originally prepared to fly out on the affected flight, but due to the unexpected incident, they had to switch to a Singapore Airlines flight which left this morning at 9am.

He revealed that his friends were a middle-aged couple who are both working professionals and were on a holiday in Singapore.

The incident also caused another Lufthansa's departure at 11.55pm to Frankfurt, Germany, to be delayed.

This is not the first time a Lufthansa plane has encountered some problems.

On June 6, an Airbus A380 flying in from Hong Kong developed some faults after takeoff and was forced to return to the Hong Kong airport.

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/news/810656/hansa_plane_crashes_into_boarding_bridge_at_Changi.html

seems the A380 is attracting attention for the wrong reasons...

Perhaps due to the massive size and congested airport..

Probably boils down to carelessness on the part of one or more parties. I am baffled by most ground collisions between aircraft and ground equipment. On paper, all the precautions are in place - wing walkers, guiding lines on the ramp, markings for ground equipment position, air horns etc, but in reality, such unfortunate - and irritating and inconvenient - collisions still occur with certain regularity all over the world.

KC Sim

Probably boils down to carelessness on the part of one or more parties. I am baffled by most ground collisions between aircraft and ground equipment. On paper, all the precautions are in place - wing walkers, guiding lines on the ramp, markings for ground equipment position, air horns etc, but in reality, such unfortunate - and irritating and inconvenient - collisions still occur with certain regularity all over the world.

KC Sim

that's the deal in SIN where ground handlers are increasing their intake of "foreign talents" to do the job.

that's the deal in SIN where ground handlers are increasing their intake of "foreign talents" to do the job.

Hahahaa... Really?

Most aprons look small from terminal galleries and I always thought that this is just a matter of perspective. Could it be really small, providing just enough room for apron traffic? Probably giving a little more room to planes also mean giving more room for error. Nevertheless, this is costly I know. :-)

Hahahaa... Really?

Most aprons look small from terminal galleries and I always thought that this is just a matter of perspective. Could it be really small, providing just enough room for apron traffic? Probably giving a little more room to planes also mean giving more room for error. Nevertheless, this is costly I know. :-)

Don't think space is the issue at SIN. SQ has been operating A380 at T2 for a few months before moving to T3. Seems like the Dnata guys are just (I) not familiar with the aircraft, or (II) careless.

Edited by alberttky

And I believe this is not the first incident in these few months. Know of 2 other carriers to have suffered the same damage within the space of a few months.

Sign in to follow this