MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azuddin

Crosswind Certification Test Video

Two methods for cosswinds landing.

1. Cross control. Start this at 1,000 ft AGL or earlier if you need to. Ailerons into wind and opposite rudder. How much to kick and bank is all a matter of juggling. You will come in banking and all you need to do is just flare while holding the banking. Not very visually asthetic from a spotter point of view outside as nothing much changes.

2. Crabbing method. Wings will pretty much remain level throughout the approach. However you really need to ensure your heading is enough to compensate for the drift. At a point just say 50 ft prior to flare (equals to 100ft for me since I flare at 50 usually), kick in the rudder to align the nose straight to the runway centerline. And at the same time, bank your wings into the wind direction. And do not forget to flare. You can see it is pretty complicated and many things happen at the same time. Quite fast too. If x-wind is strong and you do not put in aileron quick enough, you will drift of centerline real soon. Essentially, by the time you touch down, it is already a cross control.

There are no preferred or such thing as a more superior method. A matter of individual preference. During my training days I was always taught crabbing. Sometimes I do cross control now on the Triple 7's.

Pieter,

Yes, my triple Seven not good enough for Dublin just yet. With SQ expanding at almost an exponential rate, never know. Still not AMS on my March roster! :angry:

LeeCH

hehehe at PER the other day, wind was read as following:

18 knots max x-wind,

6 knots max downwind.

hehehehe nice lah wei :)

Sign in to follow this