MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Hisham Albakri

The colours of MH and SQ

Guys - I need you feedback on this. Looking at the original colours of SQ, it appears that SQ has inherited the colours of MSA. However, in the case of our own MH, our original colours were red and white.

Going by the flag colours of Singapore, don't you think MH's red and white is more appropriate for them rather than us? In the case of SQ's original colour of yellow white and dark blue ... hey ... that's 3 of the 4 colours of our Jalur Gemilang! Also, MSA's colours were inherited from it's predecesssor, i.e. Malayan Airways.

Am I missing something here or does anyone know the history why MH didn't adopt MSA's colours, thus allowing SQ to adopt those colours? Or is this the classic case of MH being 'arm twisted' by the more 'dominant' partner?!?

Do colours really matter? At the end of the day, SIA has outperformed MAS in many regards, especially financially!!! In terms of Service, MH hands down! But I think the new colours of MAS as oppose to MSA are symbolic of the carriers need to start anew... SIA got all the 'long-range' fleet and international destinations.. whilst MAS got the F27s and a couple of B737s to cover the domestic services... who knows how this happend when MSA stemmed from MALAYAN AIRWAYS! At the end of the day, I believe SIA had the upper hand then, and they still do now! But MAS can change that with good management policy and efficiency! I hope this does happen, the country and its people are the ones who will truly benefit wink.gif

But MAS Blue, Red, White and Grey are our new colours and hopefully the ones that will see it through to recovery and the dawn of a new golden era for MAS smile.gif

I prefer the old MAS CS - without question.

MAS was great in that it started out from scratch. It had been running good and could have paralleled SIA until .... (fill in the blanks laugh.gif )

Am I missing something here or does anyone know the history why MH didn't adopt MSA's colours, thus allowing SQ to adopt those colours? Or is this the classic case of MH being 'arm twisted' by the more 'dominant' partner?!?

22223[/snapback]

Actually Singapore had wanted to do it the easy way - they even thought of using the old MSA acronym - for Mercury Singapore Airlines, so they would not have to spend much on rebranding (Mercury was the name of the ship in which Stamford Raffles first travelled to Singapore). But Malaysia's opposition to the use of the old acronym of MSA and the fact that the name Mercury would not mean much to its image (being an obscure name in history as it is), they used the current name.

The playing field was not even then. We managed to catch up but as with the 1979 MYR-SGD fiasco, someone decided to screw it up apparently for the heck of it. blink.gif huh.gif

Edited by H Azmal

Do colours really matter? At the end of the day, SIA has outperformed MAS in many regards, especially financially!!!  In terms of Service, MH hands down!  But I think the new colours of MAS as oppose to MSA are symbolic of the carriers need to start anew...  SIA got all the 'long-range' fleet and international destinations.. whilst MAS got the F27s and a couple of B737s to cover the domestic services... who knows how this happend when MSA stemmed from MALAYAN AIRWAYS!  At the end of the day, I believe SIA had the upper hand then, and they still do now!  But MAS can change that with good management policy and efficiency!  I hope this does happen, the country and its people are the ones who will truly benefit wink.gif

But MAS Blue, Red, White and Grey are our new colours and hopefully the ones that will see it through to recovery and the dawn of a new golden era for MAS smile.gif

22225[/snapback]

The issue here is not so much the colours Sandeep. I suppose you did sort of mention what I had suspected all this while; i.e. SQ had the upper hand then ... so I reckon they had the 1st choice of using MSA's colours!

Actually Singapore had wanted to do it the easy way - they even thought of using the old MSA acronym - for Mercury Singapore Airlines, so they would not have to spend much on rebranding (Mercury was the name of the ship in which Stamford Raffles first travelled to Singapore). But Malaysia's opposition to the use of the old acronym of MSA and the fact that the name Mercury would not mean much to its image (being an obscure name in history as it is), they used the current name.

The playing field was not even then. We managed to catch up but as with the 1979 MYR-SGD fiasco, someone decided to screw it up apparently for the heck of it.  blink.gif  huh.gif

22239[/snapback]

Ok, noted! The point here is that SQ had the 1st choice option to do whatever they wanted to do to the 'image' that was in existence since the late 1940s. The sad part is that it appeared that MH didn't do much to object either! So which airline can claim that they are alomost 60 years old now ... MH or SQ? To me, looks like MH is only about 33 years old then!

it appeared that MH didn't do much to object either! So which airline can claim that they are alomost 60 years old now ... MH or SQ? To me, looks like MH is only about 33 years old then!

22252[/snapback]

Problem is Malaysia has an image problem - we take wrongfully placed pride in wanting to be unique. We wanted a utopia, Singapore was simply being practical. For example, what's the point of designing the tallest building in the world if more than half of it is empty today? mad.gif sad.gif

Another problem I daresay is Malaysia in general baik tak bertempat. We'd rather relent than go the distance. Singapore didn't mind its diplomatic ties with Italy severed in 1977 if it meant SIA gets more rights to fly over Europe to LHR(which it did).

Edited by H Azmal

Correction to last post: Singapore battled the UK over rights for an increase in flight frequencies; the termination of *bilateral ties* between Singapore and Italy was due to some other civil-aviation matter, not specifically the rights for more flights into LHR.

Going by the flag colours of Singapore, don't you think MH's red and white is more appropriate for them rather than us? In the case of SQ's original colour of yellow white and dark blue ... hey ... that's 3 of the 4 colours of our Jalur Gemilang! Also, MSA's colours were inherited from it's predecesssor, i.e. Malayan Airways.

It doesn't come as a surprise to me that, our very own national flag, the Jalur Germilang was in fact a copy (or inspiration) of the American flag! Minus the yellow star and the moon. I certainly thought our flag could have done better!

Problem is Malaysia has an image problem - we take wrongfully placed pride in wanting to be unique. We wanted a utopia, Singapore was simply being practical. For example, what's the point of designing the tallest building in the world if more than half of it is empty today? 

Good one Azmal, been thinking the same as well. The utopian ideology have long been abused and used as a useful weapon for their defense by many politicians.

Edited by S V Choong

If I remember correctly, at the time of the split in October 1972, Singapore Airlines gained the long-range fleet and traffic rights while Malaysia Airline System gained the regional fleet plus financial compensation.

The split came about because the Singaporean partner in MSA is keen to take on a more international route network while the Malaysian side is keen to develop regionally . . . this obviously influenced the manner in which the fleet and traffic rights were apportioned . . . and whatever "inequality" was then balanced with financial compensation.

The rest as they say is history . . . and what you have today is what each did with what it inherited from the split.

Like many of you, I do actually like the original MAS colours (and especially when the livery included the Jawi writings). I especially liked it when MAS was inaugurating flights to LAX and had the Malaysian and American flag painted on some aircraft in its fleet.

KC Sim

Finally ... a comment from someone south of the border! Thanks KC smile.gif

I know these are all in the past ... but I still think MH, and not SQ, should have inherited MSA's old colours ... irrespective of all the historial facts and arguments smile.gif

Edited by Hisham Albakri

Finally ... a comment from someone south of the border! Thanks KC  smile.gif

I know these are all in the past ... but I still think MH, and not SQ, should have inherited MSA's old colours ... irrespective of all the historial facts and arguments  smile.gif

23042[/snapback]

Well, at least we can take pride in the fact that the old Malayan/Malaysian Airways still lives somewhere, and a world class one at that. Singapore is believe it or not much more proud of their history than we in Malaysia generally are - take a peek at the PICAS NAS website - so many old photos of Malaya/Malaysia in there! Compare that to Arkib Negara - pah! Doesn't work half the time!

Edited by H Azmal

Some sample og images found on Singapore's PICAS:

MSA B707

MSA B737

MSA BN2

MSA Twin Pioneer

MSA F27

MSA DC3

MSA Comet 4

Try keying in 'Johor Bahru', 'Kuala Lumpur' and other places in Malaysia in the search box there. Your jaw will definitely drop at the number of results it returns.

Edited by H Azmal

I know these are all in the past ... but I still think MH, and not SQ, should have inherited MSA's old colours ... irrespective of all the historial facts and arguments

No doubt.

In fact, SQ did inherit the Boeing customer code of MSA. The *12 code became SQ's customer code after the split and MAS started of with a new code *H6

Guest Fendy

SQ are more known because they have been far more consistent in their brand image than MH. since the beginning SQ have always been associated with the 'SIngapore Girl' which is now known worldwide.

MH on the other hand have changed so many times, it is hard to associate them with one good, strong image.

Frankly, looking at the livery of both airlines when the split in October 1972, I did not get the feeling that any of them inherited MSA's very interesting yellow/black livery.

SIA had a chrome yellow which is distinctively different from MSA's pale yellow and blue instead of black.

I personally felt the original Kelantan Wau logo was more distinctive and has a cultural background to it, as opposed to SIA's stylised bird.

After 33 years, I feel both airlines have made good what they inherited. I fully agree with Fendy that SIA's consistent marketing message and use of the iconic "Singapore Girl" have given it greater marketing mileage and stronger image. In fact, the advertising jingle created by Batey Ads was used for a longer time that one would normally dare . . . in its later form, only the ending "Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly" was the only part that was recognisable.

MAS on the other hand has gone on the theme of "gold" for some time - with the slogan "Fly the Golden World of MAS", at some time it went on a "fantasy sci-fi" theme and at another time, it actually used some very clever play of words in publicising its services to Mulu (using Abraham Lincoln's profile in the Mulu Cave), to Hong Kong (using the chinese teapot which retains the flavour of tea long after the liquid is consumed) and to Bueno Aires (using the tango dancer).

Many will actually remember that MAS was the first airline to advertise its A380 - even ahead of SIA!

The two airlines have taken a very different approach to marketing - one that is constantly refreshed and revamped at MAS and one that relies on subtle changes to long-established images.

At this point in time, I think that both airlines' liveries could do with a change. Not just a cosmetic touch-up but a total change. MAS' Boeing 777 with the Heliconia design is an indication of the graphic design prowess available north of the causeway . . . that in my opinion is one of the most classy special livery I have seen. I had seen the Hibiscus livery at its launch in Subang and went wow! but when I saw pictures of the heliconia design, I missed a heartbeat. I have yet to see this in person, and I know it will take my breath away. It is a very classy one that is hard to beat.

KC Sim

Can anyone tell me more about the 1979 MYR-SGD fiasco? Sound interesting, I tried the web but haven't got much luck... was that the year when both the countries decided not to peg their currencies against each other? huh.gif

Can anyone tell me more about the 1979 MYR-SGD fiasco? Sound interesting, I tried the web but haven't got much luck... was that the year when both the countries decided not to peg their currencies against each other?  huh.gif

24339[/snapback]

I was only 14 then, hence do not remember such fiasco, but I do however recall that our MYR was already lower in value as compared to the SGD way back in late 1977 ... maybe KC Sim can comment ... assuming he is much older than just 14 way back in 1979 smile.gif

Guys

To discuss currency valuations will take more than a PhD thesis as it involves interest rate policies, balance of payment dynamics, money supply policies, etc.

IIRC, Kuan Yew went for a strong currency with every SGD being backed by foreign reserves (USD, JPY, etc.). Malaysia went for a flexible valuation taking into account price levels (inflation), interest rates, money supply, budget spending, balance of payments, etc. and the MYR value is then a result of these decisions.

In other words, Singaoore always had a strong currency backed by foreign reserves while Malaysia allows its currency to strengthen and weaken in response to trade balances and foreign fund movements. That is why interest rates in Malaysia is the lowest after Japan as Malaysia (like Japan) want its citizens to borrow and buy to keep the economy active. To foreigners, low interest rates give poor returns to their money and so they put their money elsewhere. This means MYR is not attractive to buy and therefore its price (the exchange rate or the value of the currency) is low.

That is a quick and simple explanation for the SGD/MYR currency split and as always quick and simple explanations don't explain everything.

When I was a little kid holidaying in Singapore during the early 80s........ MYR was almost 1:1 to SGD and MYR was largely welcome like HKD and CNY now in HK. At one stage MYR 1.00 = JPY 100.....

Since then MYR has gone downhill...... sad.gif

Edited by S V Choong

In 1979, SGD 1.00 = MYR 1.01 . The MOF at that time initiated a series of actions to close the gap, but it backfired. I'm not familiar with what he did, but IIRC it used a huge amount of the people's money, and the backfiring result caused the MYR to deteriorate. The particular minister is now the MP for an area in Malaysia that has never fallen into the hands of the opposition in an opposition-controlled state.

Edited by H Azmal

In 1979, SGD 1.00 = MYR 1.01 . The MOF at that time initiated a series of actions to close the gap, but it backfired. I'm not familiar with what he did, but IIRC it used a huge amount of the people's money, and the backfiring result caused the MYR to deteriorate.  The particular minister is now the MP for an area in Malaysia that has never fallen into the hands of the opposition in an opposition-controlled state.

24421[/snapback]

Ku Li was in the opposition once what?!?

biggrin.gif

Ku Li was in the opposition once what?!?

biggrin.gif

24423[/snapback]

Wow you're quick, 'Uncle' Hisham! laugh.gif

Yeah I forgot about that. But apparently it was enough for you to correctly guess who he is. biggrin.gif

Wow you're quick, 'Uncle' Hisham! laugh.gif

Yeah I forgot about that. But apparently it was enough for you to correctly guess who he is. biggrin.gif

24424[/snapback]

Your hints about ministers, oppositions and what not was the 'give-away' ... else I haven't got a clue who the Minister of Finance was in 1979 ... I was in boarding school from 1978 to 1982, hence didn't really follow these sort of news unless one was in the debating team ... you only read the back-paged sports news then smile.gif

Edited by Hisham Albakri

Sign in to follow this