MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Min

MIG and F14

Caption: VAW113 controlled sections of F-14 and Royal Malaysian Air Force Mig-29

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F14_and_...Force_Mig29.jpg

I have no idea when was this? i dont know that MAS and US joint training together? (maybe F14 trying to figure out MIG29 system just to see whether f14 picks up

any signal on MIG. just in case if theres a war between US and russia?) just a thought

any idea guys?

F14_and_Royal_Malaysian_Air_Force_Mig29.jpg

Edited by Min

Stennis Fighters Go Head-to-Head with MiG 29s in the Pacific

Release Date: 9/14/2004

By Journalist 2nd Class (SW) Christopher C. Fowler, USS John C. Stennis Public Affairs

ABOARD USS JOHN C. STENNIS (NNS) -- Soviet-designed MiG-29s flew against F/A-18C Hornets, F/A-18E Super Hornets and F-14D Super Tomcats Sept. 7 during joint air-to-air combat exercises over the South China Sea.

The joint Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 14/Malaysian Royal Air Force (RMAF) exercise began with Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 115 flying the F/A-18E Super Hornet, and Fighter Attack Squadron VFA-25 flying the F/A-18C Hornet against the RMAF MiG-29s with four one-on-one engagements, each practicing within-visual-range air-to-air combat exercises with the historically-adversarial MiG.

The second part of the exercise involved VFA-113 flying the F/A-18D Hornet, and Fighter Squadron (VF) 31 flying the F-14D Super Tomcat, conducting mock "dog fight" engagements in a beyond-visual range exercise.

Lt. Dave Faehnle, training officer for VF-31, said the exercise was a great opportunity to fly against an aircraft that presents a real-world threat.

"We flew two, two-on-two runs against the MiG-29s," said Faehnle. "We achieved our mission objective, to see their aircraft on radar and to engage a dissimilar aircraft. It was a great opportunity to observe some of their tactics and to exercise some of our own radar systems."

According to VFA-115's Operations Officer, Lt. Cmdr. Keven Harms, the exercise was considered a success.

"The opportunity to fly against the aircraft that is considered Naval Aviation's percentage threat, the MiG-29, was truly a once in a lifetime event and is sure to be the highlight of the cruise for everyone who participated," he said.

Source: globalsecurity.org

Edited by MIR

The F14 and MiG 29's are both relatively old fighters now, the F14 is 1970's technology while the MiG 29 is roughly half a generation later, an 1980's design. So I wonder what the US and Malaysian air forces learnt that they did not know already.

The F14 and MiG 29's are both relatively old fighters now, the F14 is 1970's technology while the MiG 29 is roughly half a generation later, an 1980's design. So I wonder what the US and Malaysian air forces learnt that they did not know already.

Ya. I think the US Navy retired the F-14 last year. Maybe they realised they are not as good as the MIGs. :p

Come to think of it most of the time when there is a conflict, it's always US vs Russia/China. Take Korea i.e. US made Sabre vs Soviet made MIG-21, Gulf War Iraq used mainly Soviet era tanks and missiles, and Vietnam. Has anyone come across conflict where it's US weapon vs US weapon?

Edited by waiping

Ya. I think the US Navy retired the F-14 last year. Maybe they realised they are not as good as the MIGs. :p

Come to think of it most of the time when there is a conflict, it's always US vs Russia/China. Take Korea i.e. US made Sabre vs Soviet made MIG-21, Gulf War Iraq used mainly Soviet era tanks and missiles, and Vietnam. Has anyone come across conflict where it's US weapon vs US weapon?

I thought they faced their own weapons in afghan terror war?? weapons from the past russian afghan war.. the bazooka like weapons ehhehe

Our MiG29 have even dogfighted with USAF F15 (based in Japan). I believe most air force wouldn't want to miss a chance to exercise with USAF/US Navy.

But I'm more interested to know the outcome of RMAF Hawk 100/200 exercise with USNavy FA18. Its really like David vs Goliath.

RSAF is luckier, they get to participate in Red Flag Exercise in the US. Of course, that is exclusively for totally pro-US country only.

RMAF Su30MKM is however off-limit at the moment to foriegn air force possibly due to limited operational status.

Greece F16 vs Turkey F16 over Cyprus border conflict. And life were loss due to collision during dogfight, although I'm not sure which side.

Indonesian F16 vs US Navy FA18 over Java Sea, which resulted in the Indonesian F16 being locked on by USN FA18, however no missile/bullets were fired.

A bigger possibility is US made, locally modified F14, F5E, F4 by Iran vs US/Israel if things get out of hand in the Middle East. Hope it doesn't happen though.

Edited by Fitri Shukri

"RSAF is luckier, they get to participate in Red Flag Exercise in the US. Of course, that is exclusively for totally pro-US country only."

..indeed ,however the next Red Flag has officially been extended to the RMAF to participate .On our part this is subject to the never ending budget availabilty and approval of the 'loud mouth but know nuts bout defence' politicians.

• Like 1

"RSAF is luckier, they get to participate in Red Flag Exercise in the US. Of course, that is exclusively for totally pro-US country only."

..indeed ,however the next Red Flag has officially been extended to the RMAF to participate .On our part this is subject to the never ending budget availabilty and approval of the 'loud mouth but know nuts bout defence' politicians.

So more jets means higher tax to pay. :(

Sign in to follow this