MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Leong Chuo Sheng

Royal Brunei?

Was just wondering about Royal Brunei especially their long-haul standards. The reason being is that as of now, BI are the cheapest from Auckland to Kuching on 14 November (end of university term).

NZ/BI Itinerary:

PMR-AKL NZ 8344 2205-2310 NZD84 (13 November)

AKL-BWN BI 78 0430-0940

BWN-KCH BI 853 1310-1420 NZD1120.50

Total: RM 2,507.20

The comparable fare was for me to go to Melbourne (due to family members) on this itinerary:

WLG-MEL QF 38 NZD200

MEL - KUL - KCH MH 128 and MH 2504 AUD754.05 (stimulus package deal)

Total: RM 2,435.20

plus expenses for a week in Melbourne.

So, I was hoping is that some of you can offer some insight into BI's performance on long-haul...I do know that they have two renegade B763s that have no PTVs and I heard some rumours on AirlineQuality that they have a very strict check-in baggage allowance.

Thanks

My wife has been onboard of BI's flight from AKL-BWN and then BWN-KUL. She said it is okay for what you paid for, don't expect the so-called "5 star" treatment (a manifesto of an airline). The 763 she flew to BWN from AKL did not have PTV, but the one she flew on the return leg had PTVs with new interior. Meal is good but no alcohol is served onboard.

QF38 is bound to be an ex-QF B737-300/400 run by Jetconnect.

Why don't you check out the EK deal from MEL-SIN/ BNE-SIN for 400-500 odd Aussie dollars? Visit www.emirates.com and choose Australia as the country from the drop down menu.

If you are into trying different airlines rather than flying the so called 5-star airline all the time, why not? ;)

Are those fares quoted above one-way?

If you are just going back to KCH for break, SQ has 3-month return AKL-SIN-KCH for just under NZD1,600.

I flew BI medium haul almost 2 years ago on BWN-BNE & vv. The outbound sector was operated by a refurbished B767 with PTV's, unfortunately mine didn't work. The return sector was an old B767 with no PTV's and awful seat pitch. Overall it was okay for the price I paid.

Another concern is the transit time in BWN.

Anyway, a couple of movies later and you'll arrive at your destination. At least that's how I felt last time.

Edited by waiping

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'll be back in Kuching just for the summer break (Nov-Feb) and back down to New Zealand again for my honours year (hopefully).

S V,

Emirates is giving me AUD1173.50 from MEL on 21 Nov and arrives Changi at 2320..which is too late to catch the AK flight to Kuching. From BNE, Emirates quotes AUD1181.11 on the same date and arrives Changi at 0815, which allows for the MH 637/638 flight to KCH at 1pm-ish? It seems that their offer has just expired, or other than that I might be doing something wrong ?

Waiping,

The connection in BWN is just about 3 hours:

AKL-BWN BI 78 0430-0940

BWN-KCH BI 853 1310-1420

I don't remember much about BWN as the last time I flew BI and visited BWN was around 8 years ago (when I was a UM)....

H C,

Yes the fares are quoted as one-way. I did try and look at a return on BI, and they quoted just under NZD 1700. However, my situation is dependent whether I can return to do my honours year for my degree ;)

Thanks

It seems Royal Brunei is quite okay. Personally, I wouldn't mind flying with them, as I am quite tired of one particular "5 star airline".

From memory you can accumulate Asia Miles with RBA too.

Keep an eye out for other offers and things.

If you are into trying different airlines rather than flying the so called 5-star airline all the time, why not? ;)

I'm all for it. Pretty much the reason why MAS was never on my list whenever i have a chance to go overseas :) It's always good to try out something new and so far i found TG, SQ and KL to be very decent airlines. The crew on KL was especially fun.

You should totally fly TG next time you go to BKK. TG is so unique, unlike MAS and SIA. Not that MAS and SIA are not good, both of them are good but MAS and SIA have got to be the two most westernised Asian carriers in the world. Whereas the moment you step into a TG plane, it's like you will hear the screaming of SIAM all the way to BKK :)

Edited by Isaac

You should totally fly TG next time you go to BKK. TG is so unique, unlike MAS and SIA. Not that MAS and SIA are not good, both of them are good but MAS and SIA have got to be the two most westernised Asian carriers in the world. Whereas the moment you step into a TG plane, it's like you will hear the screaming of SIAM all the way to BKK :)

Sure, will try that next time if it does make sense to stop at BKK. I am hoping for a non-westrnised Asian carrier, TG would make a lot of sense.

Hoping to go to Chiang Mai and other parts of Indo-China as well. :)

I really agree with you so. MAS and SIA are quite westernised, just like both countries. I struggle to find any cultural distinctiveness in both countries, especially the latter one.

Edited by S V Choong

Long layover can be tiring, but sometimes you can turn it into a 'mini' stopover - the BI fare you quoted includes a STPC in Brunei if there is no same day connection to your final destination, which means if you choose to leave AKL on 13 Nov, BI will provide you with transfers, one night accommodation and breakfast in BWN for free. If they put you on a decent 4-5 star hotel, why not? :D

It's pretty strange that the online booking engine let you book the 13-Nov AKL departure, hmm.

STPC has to be pre-arranged, here is an extract from BI's fare rules

STPC -

BI HOTEL STPC OFFER -

ROYAL BRUNEI AIRLINES WILL PROVIDE A MAXIMUM OF 2

NIGHTS ACCOMMODATION IN TOTAL - EITHER OUTBOUND OR

INBOUND OR A COMBINATION OF BOTH - ON THESE FARES

WHEN DUE TO FLIGHT SCHEDULES SAME DAY CONNECTION

DOES NOT EXIST.

--------------------------------------------------

STPC ACCOMMODATION MUST BE PREBOOKED VIA THE BI

AUCKLAND OFFICE WITH A MINIMUM OF 5 WORKINGS DAYS

NOTICE TO PROCESS.

--------------------------------------------------

STPC OFFER INCLUDES ACCOMMODATION - TRANSFERS -

AND BREAKFAST.

Thanks again for the replies guys :)

H C,

Hmmm...actually quite tempting just to go a day earlier and enjoy the hotel :p May keep that in view as I move closer to booking the flight home (must be approved by Pa-Ma Scholarship first!)

If only TG could offer me a good deal via BKK, but alas the issue of onward connections to Kuching play a major part in booking with them. Hopefully when I score a job with the airlines I get to enjoy TG for once :)

Shame for not getting EK as well, both my flights with them from AKL-MEL were excellent and they also gave me my first cockpit visit ever....

Thanks

Sign in to follow this