MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

Singapore Turns Public Road Into Military Airstrip

Wow, SG always battle-ready ... I wonder who the enemies are? :ninja:

===

December 01, 2008 15:25 PM

Singapore Turns Public Road Into Military Airstrip

SINGAPORE, Dec 1 (Bernama) -- Singapore's military planes, including fighter jets, can be said to be able to fly from any location in the tiny republic if an air exercise yesterday is any indication.

The straight multiple-lane Lim Chu Kang Road at the western tip of Singapore was turned into an 'instant' runaway for a dozen military aircraft during the half-hour air exercise.

The Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) aircraft, including F-5 and F-16 fighter jets and E-2C airborne early warning aircraft (Awac), executed a series of take-offs and landings on the road.

Before that, some 400 personnel from RSAF's Air Power Generation Command (APGC) were involved in converting the road into an improvised airstrip in 48 hours.

Singapore's Defence Ministry said the exercise highlighted the RSAF's operational readiness and its ability to deliver air power continuously.

Currently, the RSAF operates from four air bases in Singapore, namely, Tengah Airbase, Paya Lebar Airbase, Changi Airbase and Sembawang Airbase.

The strategic idea to use public roads as alternative runways if the airbases were incapacitated during enemy attacks was mooted by the then Defence Minister, Goh Keng Swee, and former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew in the mid-70s.

The APGC is currently responsible for converting a major public road into an alternate runway.

Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean, Second Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen and Minister of State for Defence Koo Tsai Kee witnessed the exercise.

This is the sixth time since 1986 that the RSAF has tested its ability to use a major public road for the launch and recovery of its aircraft.

-- BERNAMA

http://bernama.com/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=375484

Some other countries have been doing this for a long time. Sweden and Poland have regular exercises, but i also believe Finland, Switzerland, Taiwan, China and Germany have used road landing strips. The UK did do some trials with Jaguars operating from a motorway, probably in the 70s or early 80's, but never put the plan into action.

Geoff

don't be surprised if one of this days, there's a temporary closure of the PLUS highway or the East Coast Highway for military exercise... B)

correct me if I'm wrong, it was mention once sometime ago in the 1990s that some stretch of the PLUS highway could be turn into temporary military airstrip in case something really, really bad happen to the several AFB but never heard of it got mention again.

Sure, old idea. A source told me there's a PLUS Expressway straight stretch just north of Kulai meant as a runway too. I wonder who the foe would be. :D

I find it interesting that Singapore, already with its 4 airbases, would need this one when a fighter can traverse the whole country in just 2-3 minutes.

This is interesting, and I only thought that the expressway leading to Changi Airport is a highway cum emergency military landing strips with the removable planter boxes lined along certain stretches of the ECP...

Sure, old idea. A source told me there's a PLUS Expressway straight stretch just north of Kulai meant as a runway too. I wonder who the foe would be. :D

Old idea that never got past SV I guess - who pays the tol ?! :wacko:

Imagine smart tag / touch & go armed sukhois roaring past the booths

Most probable foe would be kiasu Malaysian drivers who refuse to give an inch of 'their' road :)

Edited by BC Tam

I find it interesting that Singapore, already with its 4 airbases, would need this one when a fighter can traverse the whole country in just 2-3 minutes.

That's not the point. The whole purpose is to have a contingency and a plan B-C-D if all else fails.

Edited by Ryan Soh