MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Euan

Flyin on the A380 - Which is the best Y seat ?

I'll be taking the SQ A380 LHR-SIN nxt Wed. Am trying to reserve a good Econ class seat. Is it better to be seated on the upper deck or below ? Anybody know which is best Y class seat ?

Main (lower) Deck has 311 seats, configured 3-4-3, has bigger luggage storage compartments & higher ceiling

Upper Deck has 88 seats (at the last compartment), configured 2-4-2, has much smaller luggage storage compartments (but you'll have side storage compartment on every window seat) & lower ceiling.

All 88 upper deck seats are usually full because of the novelty or maybe sounds more prestigious. Every 311 paxs from the main deck will also take a tour of the upper deck at least once during the flight. So you imagine the potential disturbance.

Only 3 cabin crews are in charge of the 88 paxs in the upper deck. So if you're into 'Ah Moi' watching (assuming that you're a guy), you're limited to that 3 only for the entire flight (worst case scenario, all 3 are boys). However, it'll be easier to interact with them (if you want to 'build relationship') compared to if you're seating in the main deck.

Edited by Andi C

I have flown on the A380 to Sydney and Tokyo, and my favourite seat is on the main deck in row 31. The window seats (31A and 31K) is perfectly aligned with both engines, the wing's leading edge and the wingtip. So if you are the out-of-window looker who also takes pictures, you might just like this position too.

Below is the link to my photo taken from 31K on the Sydney-Singapore inaugural flight SQ380 on 26 Octobrt 2007.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singapore-A...-841/1287088/L/

With SIA's recent decision to impose a surcharge on bulkhead / emergency exit seats, there is probably a surcharge on these seats. However, I am certain seats 32A and 32K would not differ too much.

Another reason I like the main deck is the sense of spaciousness - this after all is the section where the "cabin walls" continues to widen as it rises from the floor to the ceiling . . . on the upper deck, I feel that it is not too different from the interior of a B767/A310. I found the main deck exceptionally quiet but the upper deck is even quieter . . . but this isn't the biggest attraction for me.

Enjoy your flight.

KC Sim

From the looks of it...there's more likelihood of getting an empty seat next to me if I sit on the main deck ?

Main (lower) Deck has 311 seats, configured 3-4-3, has bigger luggage storage compartments & higher ceiling

Upper Deck has 88 seats (at the last compartment), configured 2-4-2, has much smaller luggage storage compartments (but you'll have side storage compartment on every window seat) & lower ceiling.

All 88 upper deck seats are usually full because of the novelty or maybe sounds more prestigious. Every 311 paxs from the main deck will also take a tour of the upper deck at least once during the flight. So you imagine the potential disturbance.

Only 3 cabin crews are in charge of the 88 paxs in the upper deck. So if you're into 'Ah Moi' watching (assuming that you're a guy), you're limited to that 3 only for the entire flight (worst case scenario, all 3 are boys). However, it'll be easier to interact with them (if you want to 'build relationship') compared to if you're seating in the main deck.

Hmm..2-4-2..similar to the A330/A340. The problem with SQ now is they don't allow seat booking at ticket issuance. Hv to do it online.

Sign in to follow this