MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Wai Hung

SIA Flight 117

This is worth ur attention...

http://www.answers.com/topic/singapore-airlines-flight-117

Pls read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singapore Airlines Flight 117

On 26 March, 1991, Singapore Airlines flight SQ 117, piloted by Captain Stanley Lim, took off from Subang Airport in Kuala Lumpur with 129 passengers and crew onboard at 1815 hrs. The aircraft was a medium to long range widebody A310 airplane, designed and manufactured by Airbus. Four passengers who claimed to be Pakistanis took control of the plane when it was en route to Singapore. The plane landed and parked at Changi Airport's Runway One at 2215 hrs.

Even before the plane arrived, an Executive Group of high-ranking officials from various organisations including MINDEF, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Information and the Arts, Singapore Airlines and a negotiating team had been alerted to the hijacking.

Demands

The hijackers claimed to be members of the Pakistan People's Party. They wanted the release of former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto's husband and other PPP members detained in Pakistani jails. They also wanted the plane refuelled so that they could fly to Australia.

On 27 Mar 91 at 0230 hrs, the plane was moved to an outer tarmac. The hijackers pushed two SIA stewards out of the plane, injuring them. The injured stewards provided vital information, which assisted the eventual storming of the plane.

Countdown and rescue

The hijackers issued a five-minute deadline at 0645 hrs after which they threatened to kill one passenger every ten minutes if their demands were not acceded to.

On the countdown to three minutes, the order was given to storm the plane. Elite Singapore Special Operations Force members stormed the plane, killing the four Pakistani hijackers and freeing all 118 passengers and 9 crew. The rescue of SQ 117 was over in just 30 seconds and ended at 0650 hrs. None of the passengers and crew were hurt.

Prime Minister Goh's commendation

Goh Chok Tong (then Singapore Prime Minister) expressed his appreciation to everyone involved in the rescue, the officials from various ministries, statutory boards and SIA. He praised them for their swift and efficient handling of the crisis.

CPT Stanley Lim, the pilot of SQ 117 and Supt Foo Kia Juah, the leader of the Police negotiating team each received the Public Service Star for their role in the rescue. The Headquarters Commandos were awarded the Medal of Valour while the members of the unit and members of Police negotiating team were awarded Presidential Certificates of Commendation at a separate ceremony.

-END-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is really inspiring to me, on how fast they react with these situations..

kudos to cpt stanley lim.

how come to story so similar to the Air France which last time broadcast at National Geography Channel? <_ btw thanks for sharing. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)">

how come to story so similar to the Air France which last time broadcast at National Geography Channel? <_< btw, thanks for sharing. :)

i think ur reffering to this

this is even more complicated yet interesting..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_8969

THERE IS A VIDEO TOO

http://www.ina.fr/archivespourtous/index.p...ice=CAB94114434

Edited by waihung

yup

except that the sia incident is very fast

the air france incident took more than 40hrs

here is a video of the storming

http://www.ina.fr/archivespourtous/index.p...ice=CAB94114434

Erreur 404

haha... some text which i can't understand. but i guess it mean error 404. also a common error i meet when browsing web page. haha...

Edited by Sherman

how come to story so similar to the Air France which last time broadcast at National Geography Channel? <_ btw thanks for sharing. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)">

What happened to the Air France flight that you are saying :huh: ?

What happened to the Air France flight that you are saying :huh: ?

the Air France hijacked by terrorist. for futher details, better browse the wikipedia link that provide by waihung. :)

A very similar incident to the AF one, but I was not aware of such incident... It's good if NG makes a documentary of it; gonna be interesting for us to watch...

It must be scary in those two ordeals... =@ =@

A very similar incident to the AF one, but I was not aware of such incident... It's good if NG makes a documentary of it; gonna be interesting for us to watch...

It must be scary in those two ordeals... =@ =@

i'm more rather NG make the MAS one first. haha.... then just this one. :p

Sign in to follow this