MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azri M.

Tiger Airways imposes luggage fees...

From 29 May 08, we're revamping our Luggage Upsize™ policy to give you even more choices on how you want to fly. When you book from this date onwards, you can save by travelling light with up to 7kg of hand luggage free, or choose to pay an affordable fee when flying with checked luggage.

Charges are based on the weight of the luggage you're checking in, so how you fly now lies in your hands — only pay for what you want, rather than for a service you may not need.

Prepay:

Hand Luggage - Free 7kg

15 KG - S$5

20 KG - S$15

25 KG - S$25

30 KG - S$40

Pay at Airport

15 KG - S$20 (thats about RM50!)

Excess luggage:

S$12 per kg (RM28)

Basically for TT flight in Australia, just replace Sing dollars with Aus dollars. So the pay is even more significant.

The excesses are very expensive, lesson of the day is, better prepay.

Edited by Azri M.

Prepay:

Hand Luggage - Free 7kg

15 KG - S$5

20 KG - S$15

25 KG - S$25

30 KG - S$40

Pay at Airport

15 KG - S$20 (thats about RM50!)

Excess luggage:

S$12 per kg (RM28)

Basically for TT flight in Australia, just replace Sing dollars with Aus dollars. So the pay is even more significant.

The excesses are very expensive, lesson of the day is, better prepay.

Confusing, I've booked mine to Perth before 29th, which gives me 15kg free , so i hope i can carry 15kg instead of 7kg!! :pardon:

Confusing, I've booked mine to Perth before 29th, which gives me 15kg free , so i hope i can carry 15kg instead of 7kg!! :pardon:

Don't worry, this rule only comes into effect for bookings made AFTER Friday (I think).

You actually get 7kg hand luggage + 15 kg cabin luggage.

Not really confusing.. basically if you want to keep the present luggage allocation, you just have to add AU/SGD5 extra for luggage.

It is already applicable for booking made starting last night.

here the article.

IN what could be a sign of things to come, Tiger Airways passengers will be hit with a $5 fee to check in baggage on all tickets booked from today.

The new fee will apply to all flights on the airline's domestic and international routes and is in addition to excess baggage charges already applied to luggage heavier than 15kg.

The move comes after Qantas alliance partner American Airlines incensed US travellers by slapping a $16 fee on the first checked bag for many economy travellers.

Tiger passengers who booked before today will still get their free 15kg. But those who book from today and wish to avoid luggage fees will be restricted to 7kg of free carry-on luggage plus one free handbag or laptop computer bag.

Tiger chief operating officer Steve Burns said: "When I take a short break, I always resent having to pay for other people's mountains of baggage. Tiger gives people the option to pay only for what they use rather than subsidising other travellers."

Jetstar offers people a $10 discount on some routes if they travel with carry-on bags only.

one this i have to admit is that they have better PR. they don't say "when you check in baggages, you make us spend more on fuel."

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

one this i have to admit is that they have better PR. they don't say "when you check in baggages, you make us spend more on fuel."

"When I take a short break, I always resent having to pay for other people's mountains of baggage. Tiger gives people the option to pay only for what they use rather than subsidising other travellers."

Definitely so, I share the same sentiment whenever I traveled (always light) and saw other ppl's mountains. :)

On many occasions I had ppl approaching me wanting to use my check-in allowance, and I politely said, No Way, Jose, I dunno what you are carrying!

Sign in to follow this