MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

THE FFP for infrequent flyers

Star Alliance Gold (*G) status on Asiana Club seems ridiculously easy to obtain.

OZ diamond (their gold status is star alliance silver) status - 100 000 status miles gets you *G. But you can take as long as you want. That's right - as long as you want!! Even if you take a century to do it. You'd hit *S somewhere in between; it comes in at the 40k mark. But *S is pretty useless, only a form of encouragement to spur u on to the giddy heights of *G. Upon qualification of *G, you only need 40 000 status miles within THREE years... That's less than 15 000 a year! :blink: Other FFPs require you to re/qualify and earn the same amount of mileage (ranging from 35-100k) every year, or in the case of TG and LH/LO/OS/LX, every 2 years.

Now the concept of an alliance means that there is reciprocal earning and redeeming of mileage. This means you do not have to step onboard a single Asiana flight (or the flights of your 'home' carrier, in my case it's LH); fly on SQ/TG/LH/NH etc and still earn *G. So, say if you love SQ but hate Krisflyer - continue flying SQ but earn ur mileage on Asiana Club. :)

Wow this must be the easiest set of *G prerequisites I've ever seen. Even simpler than some other airlines' *S status. If you don't fly often - Asiana Club is THE FFP for you!

But the catch, there's always one of course, is that you appear to only get standard *G benefits. The list of carrier-specific benefits seem pretty woeful; the only extra goodie you get appear to be a 'free gift' upon attaining Lifetime status (1 million miles). Meaning when you actually fly on OZ you don't have any extra freebies you can use on them. Other FFPs like LH, AC and UA have things like complimentary upgrade vouchers when you fly on the carrier of the FFP you're using.

And alas, the earn/redemption ratio isn't very nice on OZ. The cool thing is should they devalue their miles, you still have the option of using the old redemption chart for 24 months after the change. Odd thing is I couldn't find anything about whether mileage expire.

But still, possibly the easiest way to get *G...worldwide lounge access, priority check in, priority baggage, priority boarding, priority waitlist etc etc :)

Can't have our cake and eat it too, can we? :p

More details: http://www1.flyasiana.com/club/c_em_010.asp

Edited by Keith T

Sound great, but it says "for foreigners residing in Korea" :o

Sound great, but it says "for foreigners residing in Korea" :o

That's because I linked to the English version. Supposedly every Korean knows Korean (and possibly named and shamed if they are caught reading the English version? :p) I checked the US and Australian sites and they all pretty much present the same info.

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this