MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Malaysia gets 2 more landing rights in France

Malaysia gets 2 more landing rights in France

by Doreen Leong

23/06/08

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian government has secured extra landing rights on two secondary airports in France following the conclusion of talks between the governments recently, said sources.

This means that national carrier Malaysia Airlines and budget carrier AirAsia X are able to fly to Lyon airport and Nice airport in France starting next year.

“Malaysian carriers are given three times weekly slot for next year and this will increase to five times weekly in 2010,” said a source.

An announcement on the matter is expected to be made this week by the Ministry of Transport.

However, another source said Malaysia Airlines might not be keen to fly to the two secondary airports as it was already operating daily flights to Paris DeGaulle Airport.

Initially, Malaysia Airlines had wanted to cut this loss-making route from its network when it underwent a network rationalisation exercise but decided to keep the route after the airlines managed to find ways to salvage it.

It was unclear if budget long-haul carrier AirAsia X would want to fly to the two airports in France.

For Malaysia Airlines, it could tap into Air France-KLM’s network in the country if the two airlines agree to code-share. According to a source, Malaysia Airlines is in talks with Air France-KLM to explore code share arrangements.

In the fiscal year ended March 31, 2008, the total revenue of Air France-KLM amounted to €24.11 billion (RM122.5 billion), with a net profit of €748 million, a net profit decrease of 16% compared to the previous year’s.

Air France-KLM is one of the most profitable companies in Europe. The airline is the world leader in terms of international passenger traffic; and its cargo activity (not including integrators) is one of the world’s major maintenance service providers.

Passenger transport is Air France-KLM’s main business, accounting for 80% of turnover in FY2008, with 74.8 million passengers carried, a fleet in operation of 607 aircraft, and 258 destinations worldwide.

http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.js...c7d600-a8a08eb9

Ok silly question. If MAS cannot make money out of Paris, what makes them think they can do it with Lyon and Nice? I hope the government doesn't force MAS to utilise these slots although it would be great to see an MH 777 landing at any one of those airports!

I think it is almost certain that MH will not be flying to Nice and Lyon. This is because to complement its hub and spoke business model and also if what MH is currently doing is to allign itself to SkyTeam, such move is not in accordance with an alliance's practice.

MH should be granted a second daily right into CDG. Although the article mentioned that CDG was once being considered to be axed, current rumours that are spreading in A.Net are that CDG and AMS are MH's top 2 performing destinations in Europe and they are profitable and also high on the list to be served by MH's future A380s (I think this info was told by A.Net's expert, HB-IWC in one of his replies somewhere).

If D7 don't have any intention to fly to either Lyon or Nice, moreover with the current and future fuel prices, what will this landing rights benefit Malaysia then? Can it be converted into landing rights into CDG?

waaAAAAA...good news i believe any Malaysian airline operator..my personal opinion,both of this airport location not a popular airport for MAS and AirAsia X looking for..AirAsia X target London Gatwick Airport as first destination in Europe while MAS probably will maintain their current destination and with "Hub & Spoke" concept too..can somebody share with us any good and special about Nice and Lyon?? :clapping:

AirAsia X target London Gatwick Airport as first destination in Europe

I believe London Stansted is D7's first choice. In fact, they already have secured a landing right to operate into that airport. London Gatwick is not quite suitable for D7's low cost business model.

can somebody share with us any good and special about Nice and Lyon??

From what I know, Nice is located in the French Riviera and it is the main airport that serves the fabulous city of Monte Carlo, the city of the ultimate Rich and Famous.

I believe London Stansted is D7's first choice. In fact, they already have secured a landing right to operate into that airport. London Gatwick is not quite suitable for D7's low cost business model.

From what I know, Nice is located in the French Riviera and it is the main airport that serves the fabulous city of Monte Carlo, the city of the ultimate Rich and Famous.

any reason why London Gatwick not suitable for LCC???

thanks for the info..any good reason why either MH or D7 should make as new destination at Nice or/and Lyon??i think not.. :pardon:

Really don't see any point in MH flying to Nice or Lyon at all.

Why were they granted rights if neither carrier is interested in serving these destinations?

Seems a complete waste of effort on the Malaysian government side.

Ayo! From what I gathered, basically, LGW, as the second largest airport in London, will pose a high airport charges and airport tax to D7, which they try to avoid. STN, on the other hand is a leading LCC hub in Europe, being a hub for both EasyJet and RyanAir (Europe's largest LCCs), which may offer vast tie up/cooperation opportunities with D7. Being a LCC hub, the airport impose lower charges, which suit D7's business model. And more importantly, D7 has secured a landing right to operate into this airport.

Sign in to follow this