MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Neville Murphy

Photograpy at KL International Airport

Thank you for allowing me to register with MalaysianWings Forum and congratulations on on a professional aviation website. I will be in Kuala lumpur for a few days only arriving and departing by train from Singapore I have viewed the posts giving directions to locations around the airport Observation Hill. Is the Viewing Gallery accessible without entering the departure lounge? If not are there any locations at the International Airport Suitable for photography? If so is the taking of photographs allowed and with the light in mind when is the best time?

Thank you

Neville Murphy

Amateur Aviation Photograher

Perth Western Australia Aviation Images Australia)

Hi Neville,

Welcome to MalaysianWings and looking forward for your visit.. :D

1. Observation Hill is closed temporary now since runway 1 (32R/14L) is closed for maintenance

& upgrading works.

2. Viewing Gallery in the Main Terminal Building is accessible without entering departure lounge.

3. Currently the best place to shoot aircraft will next to runway 2 (32L/14R), especially near Weather Station

or the threshold of 32L and/or 14R. If you're shooting from weather station, best time is in the afternoon

when the sun will be behind you.

4. Photography is allowed in KLIA???... So far we'd conflicting versions from airport security of photographing

around the airport perimeter. Sometimes we do get stopped by them, but most of the time, we can carry on

shooting. But photographing within the airside is prohibited.

When are you going to be here?