MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Why 'cheap' carriers might not necessarily be cheaper

Today I got an email from Virgin Blue announcing their sale fares to various cities in Australia - I could visit Sydney for $59 one way.

Screw the measley 1000 AA award miles and Qpts I'd get on QF I thought, since I can always buy lounge access and food on DJ. The QF sale fare that I recently saw to SYD was for $96 one way.

But as I was nearly tempted to book my weekend in SYD with DJ, I thought I'd better analyse the 'real' costs of traveling on DJ vs QF.

The below costs are based on one way travel to SYD on the lowest sale fares of both carriers, departing on the same day with similar schedule:

DJ:

Fare - $59

Access to The Lounge - $30

Food and drink (assuming same quantity as QF Cityflyer flights - panini and alcoholic drink) - $12

Exit row ('Blue Zone') seating - $30

QF:

Fare - $96

Access to the Qantas Club - complimentary due to AA Platinum/oneworld Sapphire status

Food and drink - complimentary

Exit row seating - complimentary; usually blocked off for allocation in the Qantas Club

Total cost of flying with DJ: $131

Total cost of flying with QF: $96

Even with the non-sale QF red e-deal fare of $120, I still save booking with QF!

I haven't looked at excess baggage charges as I'm just traveling with a small rollaboard - so that might be something to consider should I ever plan an extended interstate trip.

All nickels and dimes on the so-called value for money carrier vs what's effectively a package deal on QF - not rocket science to decide who to fly with. The 1000 AA award miles and Qpts now looks decidedly like an icing on top of a very scrumptious cake. :D :D

Of course I could always take the DJ fare without the extras you say - but that'd be folly as I practically get these extras for free on QF.

Then I logged on to Flyertalk and noticed a thread on the British Airways board, declaring why BA is 3 times cheaper than Ryan Air - which adds cogency to my findings: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705279, especially this choice quote:

In fact you could book a stretch limo at STN, pick up some Essex girls on the way, have some sticky fun on the way round the M25, kick them out at Crawley, have a McD's at the North Terminal, take the BA plane, and still save money.
:D

Any similar comparisons wherever part of the world you're from? :)

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this