MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Thailand enforcing 'onward ticket' requirement

New enforcement of a previously unenforced rule since at least early APR. Those traveling to Thailand and planning to stay for much longer (ie visa runs at the Malaysian border etc), please note that you now need to show an onward ticket departing Thailand within 30 days at immigration. Several Flyertalkers were caught out this past week:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698044

The immigration agents appear to be lenient if it's ur first time.

If your traveling to Thailand to stay for more than 30 days and don't intend to get a proper visa, my advice is to get a full fare refundable ticket out of Thailand within the 30 day period. Or a cheap LCC ticket to SIN or KUL which can be had for chips anyway - something like US$40 last I checked. Whichever works. :)

The other principal way to get around the requirement is to get a formal visa - often they do not ask for onward tickets during the application process. And the possession of a formal visa should obliterate the need for showing an onward ticket at passport control. Despite introducing border controls - Thailand's visa rules are a joke and it's very easy to get a Thai visa.

Mod: I don't know whether this thread ought to be here but as it relates to air travel to Thailand, I suppose it's somewhat relevant?

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this