MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

1981 MAS Emergency @ SZB

I recall reading somewhere many years ago that there was an emergency landing of a MAS F27 at Subang sometime in 1981. The plane was on a flight from JHB to KUL /SZB via MKZ. A passenger noticed one of the 'wing-mounted' wheels hanging precariously soon after takeoff from MKZ. The Captain who I only recall as one Captain Ali managed to land the plane at SZB by asking passengers to move to one side.

Anyone has further details on this incident?

Not on this one but a similar one. Late 80s or early 90s, a 732 on ferry flight from JHB to SZB (then KUL) lost one of its main landing gears when these were lowered for landing. The landing gear fortunately landed in a palm oil plantation & not on somebody's head. The plane landed at SZB in the early evening, engine scrapped rwy and blocked the single rwy until the next morning before it can be removed. Imagine the chaos it did to the whole schedules that evening.

Not on this one but a similar one. Late 80s or early 90s, a 732 on ferry flight from JHB to SZB (then KUL) lost one of its main landing gears when these were lowered for landing. The landing gear fortunately landed in a palm oil plantation & not on somebody's head. The plane landed at SZB in the early evening, engine scrapped rwy and blocked the single rwy until the next morning before it can be removed. Imagine the chaos it did to the whole schedules that evening.

I think it was in 1990. I was a crew on a flight from NRT that had to be diverted to PEN because of this incident.

Sign in to follow this