MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azman MN

Biometric Passports

There was an interesting programme on Swiss TV last night. I can't remember all the details:

a german research firm seems to have proven that 23% of the time, biometric information is recorded incorrectly, i.e., you arrive at the airport, do the fingerprint thing or the retina scan, and whaddaya know, it doesn't match the passport you are holding = big trouble at immigration.

Then, they showed how they can download a shareware software which allows you to edit the biometric information on the passport ohmy.gif . Wahh.. give my wife blonde hair and blue eyes lah, can or not? (oh and she says she is 3 kgs less too).

The step by step changes implemented by the US makes it particularly complicated -

1) Switzerland is on the Visa Waiver programme so passport holders do not need a Visa for a US visit

2) As of October last year, it is compulsory to have a machine readable passport, otherwise, a visa is required

3) If your passport is issued after October this year, it must have a digital photo, and if you don't, then you need a visa. The Swiss govt. will not be issuing this kind of passports yet because they want to wait until the biometric thing starts in Oct.2006. Therefore, Swiss passport issued after October 2005= no digital photo = visa required. If you have a machined readable passport issued before October 2005, they you are excused until your passport expires. blink.gif

Geez... I wonder about our malaysian passports. We have the chip thing on in for ages now. Wonder if I can get a shareware software to edit the details? Does anyone know of any research done on the reliability and accuracy of our passports? Is there a plan to update our chips so that it stores the required information?

Ahh.. just found this:

http://www.vdr-service.de/web/service/down...812-usaengl.pdf

Sign in to follow this