MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Ong

A380 route proving flights enter their final phase

News release from Airbus:

The A380's first phase of route proving missions has been highly successful, taking the aircraft from Europe to seven airports in the Asia/Pacific region. The final series of flights will involve an around-the-world trip via both poles, returning to Airbus' Toulouse, France headquarters on 30 November.

The A380's three-week route proving campaign is now in its final phase, wrapping up a series of missions that are demonstrating the 555-seat aircraft's capability to operate in airline service around the globe.

Starting on 13 November, the route proving missions have taken the A380 to seven different airports on 11 segments. Stopovers have been made in Singapore, Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Guangzhou, Beijing and Shanghai.

These global missions are among the final steps for the A380's Type Certification - which is expected in mid-December - and they utilise the no. 2 production aircraft equipped with Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engines.

During the 18 total days of route proving missions, the A380 will visit 10 different airports - demonstrating its capabilities on a continuous typical airline schedule, while performing in the aircraft's normal operational environment.

For its final route proving mission, the A380 will fly around the globe via both poles, departing Airbus' Toulouse, France headquarters on 25 November to reach Johannesburg, South Africa the following day. On 27 November, the A380 continues over the South Pole to Sydney, Australia, where it will arrive on 28 November. Departing Sydney on 29 November, it will cross the Pacific to Vancouver, Canada, returning on 30 November to Toulouse via the North Pole.

Spotters in Sydney, Australia, keep your eyes out for the A380 :D :p

when i went to melbourne last year i took sia to sin n den emirates to mel and den comin bak i took emirates to sin n mas back to kl. so at melbourne the A380 was at the airport at that time so i manage to take a photo of it. its quite big. :rolleyes:

IPB Image

Sign in to follow this