MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

"Final boarding call for Al-Kyder and Terry Wrist..."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/al-...5407999231.html

In usual Chaser-style satire...;)

Perhaps inappropriate in the current climate, particularly after a DJ plane from NAN to SYD was searched after a bomb threat, but kinda cute in retrospect. :D

But more seriously, it does expose a serious security flaw in the quick check system both Qantas and Virgin Blue use - at no point will you be asked for photo id should you obtain ur boarding pass via the quick check machines. Just a simple swipe of your credit card and it's all systems go. Which makes me wonder what happens if would-be terrorists buy their tix with a fake credit card and use a fake name...:S And I'm sure highlighting this was the intent of the stunt. Hopefully QF and DJ will rectify that dangerous loophole.

Edited by Keith T

Very funny, in hindsight.

However, you can hardly attack DJ over it, like the media most certainly will. I'm 110% sure someone in the world has such names, probably born decades ago, when such terms were joked about, let alone even heard of! It would almost certainly be open to a discrimination law suit (or empty threat) if such names were questioned, in good faith or not by the passenger!

Very funny, in hindsight.

However, you can hardly attack DJ over it, like the media most certainly will. I'm 110% sure someone in the world has such names, probably born decades ago, when such terms were joked about, let alone even heard of! It would almost certainly be open to a discrimination law suit (or empty threat) if such names were questioned, in good faith or not by the passenger!

Agreed.

However I think the prank highlights a more serious issue here - the fundamental security flaw with the self service check in systems of both QF and DJ, as per my post above. I hope both airlines, or the federal government, will introduce some form of pax verification for SSCI or OLCI systems.

Funny indeed... At first sight I thought I read the title wrongly... :D

Their parents wouldn't have known in the first tenth of the 21-century such names would trigger alarm in aviation security.

Sign in to follow this