MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
RobK

Any airliner pilots here? Question about Singapore HF freqs

Are there any pilots here that fly north/northeast up airway M771 DOLOX-DUDIS into Ho Chi Minh FIR, or the southbound routes L642 ESPOB-ENREP, L644 DUDIS-MABLI, N892 MELAS-MABLI? Previously they all used to be with Singapore on HF but I've heard that this is no longer the case as that entire area is now covered by Singapore VHF on 123.9. That is a very large area, especially from MELAS which is approximtely 400 miles to landfall on the Malaysian peninsula. I have spent some time listening to 8942 and 6556 - the vast majority of the 8942 traffic is Manila while Singapore seems to prefer 6556 these days, however the only flights noted were those to/from Manila via LUSMO and those to/from BKI area along M758 TERIX OLKIT.

So my question is : where does all the KUL/SIN-HKG (etc) traffic go once out over sea? Is it now all VHF into Vietnam or am I missing something?

Thanks. :)

The airways you mentioned are now covered by ADS-B from Singapore, and the area is under VHF, "Singapore Control" 134.35, made possible by a relay station installed on Con Son Island in Ho Chi Minh FIR. CPDLC WSJC not required.

On the other hand, the airways N884 and M767 are covered only by ADS-C and no VHF station - so Singapore CPDLC "WSJC" and/or HF 8892/6556 are used.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Sandeep G

Very interesting - thanks a lot, Sandeep! I used to enjoy listening to the SIN HF traffic, particularly the flights on those routes as you could hear some interesting planes on occasions. Sad for the hobbyist that we can no longer tune in to it from other parts of the world, although I imagine it's a huge relief for pilots as they no longer have to participate in the shouting match between SIN, MNL and other flights all jockeying for position and to get their SEL checks so they can hang up the headphones ASAP ! :)

I guess flights MNL/SIN to HKG and China are VHF all the way now then and it's only flights to Japan, Philippines and Borneo that will touch HF with Singapore.

What about northbound L625 LUSMO to AKMON? Is that VHF or HF? I know the other north/ne routes from LUSMO are HF.

L625 is covered by the ADS-B as well - so they are using the VHF... for that airway, the challenge for VHF communication is usually with Ho Chi Minh, when approaching the FIR boundary with Manila. This is alleviated by use of CPDLC communications. With MNL, HF communications are usually established first, until we are in range of Manila North on (iirc) 119.1 or 119.3

Sign in to follow this