MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Airbus To Introduce Advanced A350 Cockpit

Sounds interesting, but call me a Luddite if you wish, I'm not too crazy about new technologies. Which is kinda funny because I'm in the technology business myself. :blink:

.ny

+++

March 02, 2006 16:22 PM

Airbus To Introduce Advanced A350 Cockpit

KUALA LUMPUR, March 2 (Bernama) -- Airbus will introduce a new state-of-art cockpit on the A350, embracing the latest in flight deck technology through the incorporation of A380 innovations and all new functions.

In a statement here Thursday, the company said that the application of the latest technologies and improved ergonomics, would provide increased cockpit interactivity, improve safety and efficiency, and reduce pilot workload while maintaining commonality with Airbus' fly-by-wire family of aircraft.

The A350 cockpit's features include the A380 Interactive Displays, a multi-functional display screen which will play a key role as a user-friendly interface, with more intuitive arrangement of functions accessible via menus, which will simplify flight management for pilots and give greater flexibility.

There is also a new electronic interface for system status, which enables a more fluid, more intuitive and dynamic interaction between pilot and system and allows better management of abnormal situations without the need for paper.

In addition, the aircrafft will also provide full class lll Electronic Flight Bag functionality via two large Onboard Information terminal screens and keyboards.

The A350 cockpit will also offer all-new advanced technologies namely, Brake-to Vacate which optimises runway occupancy time, reduces consumption, saves on wear of tyres and brakes and increases passenger comfort.

-- BERNAMA

Simply too much automation in commercial and military aviation these days. In a way it improves safety, yes. On the otherside, too much heads in and heads down in the cockpit. Potential cause of an accident. Not that I am against technology. It makes my work easier.....sometimes only. We do a lot of cross checking work to verify the computer is correct. 99% is correct. But when the 1% happens......then....oh oh...

Nothing is ever more important than a good pair of eyes looking outside the window when flying. Furthermore, Boeing and Airbus do not build cockpit windows for no reason.

Last but not least, the more gadgets they have, the more wires and displays in the plane. Increased chance of an electrical fire/smoke. Lethal stuff to get everyone killed. Look at Swissair MD11. Was just talking about this with the captain while crossing Pacific Ocean to LAX. in 10 hours heading oppostie driection.....

Last but not least, the more gadgets they have, the more wires and displays in the plane. Increased chance of an electrical fire/smoke. Lethal stuff to get everyone killed. Look at Swissair MD11. Was just talking about this with the captain while crossing Pacific Ocean to LAX. in 10 hours heading oppostie driection.....

Yes the Swissair case was truly an accident waiting to happen. I hope they have improved the safety of cables used.

Btw what's the latest on the wayward 722 (MH124) which got into problems near Perth on 1/8/05? To recap, see http://www.malaccahashhouseharriers.com/midair.htm

.ny

Sign in to follow this